Good afternoon, I just signed up for a pilot program that monitors and regulates electricity consumption during peak demand loads for A/C window units,  washer,dryer done through ComED, the Citizens Utility Board and Greenlet A tech company with a new idea. A plug-in at the outlet and a router to the database to record and control these appliances during peak load times. with the weather we have been having(hot) it should be interesting. My "test lab" continues. Stay tuned

Greenlet kit for Consumers: A small kit is sent by mail to customers for quick and easy self-installation. Consumers connect each Greenlet unit to an appliance, which connects the gateway to the local router. There is no need for professional installation or knowledge and installation takes less than 5 minutes. The Greenlet system automatically registers on the Web application. Greenlet frequently sends power consumption information to the management system. Through commands received, the Greenlet system controls appliances (e.g.: stop/postpone usage) and regulates power.

Views: 379

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just received the greenlet package this is the plugin to the outlet

Attachments:

Sounds very much like what OG&E is doing with smarthours. The main difference is OG&E is going for the "big boy" the central A/C unit. Professional installation of the thermostat is required but it's provided to customers free of charge. Users can log onto myogepower to get hourly updates on total energy use for their home. Lower prices during off peak hours encourage shifting of loads. No load control devices have been implemented other than the Thermostat. In the future water heaters, pool pumps, and hot tubs could be added. The 120v device unloading is nice, but pales in comparison to a 4000W heating element or a 2000W pump.

I think gearing for window units think NY not much central air

Is there any financial incentive for customers to install the devices in their homes?

There is Bob, you get $20 per window unit for participation in the program. You also have some sort of energy use information tied into ComED. I will have to wait until the end of the month for energy use info. It has been rather cool here so I don't think we'll be having peak loads anytime soon. Stay tuned

I went onto the site and it is running. I started a load of laundry and it is showing 577w real time 433w for A/C in kitchen and 749w for living room. so it does show real time usage on the major appliance loads (not the fridge) By plugging in a greenlet to the washer thats another $20. Once I let this log data for a while, I'll see if i can get some useful info. After turning everything off I see 3w of phantom load on either 1 appliance or 1w on all three appliances. The lab continues. It also shows 1Kwh for the last 24hrs.

Is the $20 a 1 time thing or does it repeat every month? Is there a way to prevent dishonesty such as hooking up the A/C to a different outlet?

Yes it is a one time thing. As far as dishonesty, I don't know how it would be advantageous to hook the A/C to a different outlet. I feel that by seeing exactly what the A/C is using I can make an informed decision on whether or not I need to upgrade the unit with a more energy efficient one. When I look at the graph of usage from my washer I now realize the elec use through the different cycles: water fill,wash, rinse(spin), fill,wash,rinse. I haven't done the numbers yet but when I do I will know exactly what it costs to do a load of laundry. This will probably stop bad behavior(from an energy point of view) like washing 1 pair of jeans. The lab continues.

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Kris Grube added a discussion to the group Job Board
Thumbnail

Good Energy Retrofit, Portland, Or. Hiring Home Performance Salesperson.

Good Energy Retrofit is a small and focused, woman owned and operated, specialty residential…See More
21 minutes ago
Benjamin Gromicko posted events
1 hour ago
Nate Adams joined Diane Chojnowski's group
Thumbnail

Hall of Shame

In this group, members share an array of images from the field, showing the kinds of issues…See More
2 hours ago
tedkidd commented on Diane Chojnowski's group Hall of Shame
"Give this thread a bump - here's my "bad" album and some of the…"
2 hours ago
Eric Kjelshus commented on Adam Swain's blog post Top Worst Crawl Space Insulation Ideas
"6) Radiant barrier- under the gravel is just a barrier but with holes each square inch its not a…"
2 hours ago
tedkidd replied to Luis Hernandez's discussion Distribution Efficiency and heating safety factor in TREAT in the group TREAT Software
"It is very common to find equipment grossly oversized. I mean 1.5 - 2x Manual J and 2-3x the size…"
2 hours ago
tedkidd replied to Luis Hernandez's discussion Basic Heat loss information in the group TREAT Software
"Luis,  Click "selected reports, energy savings and use, design heating and cooling…"
2 hours ago
Ed Minch replied to Kurt Shafer's discussion Where can I find the best radiant barrier to install under my roof?
"The important thing here is the surface temperature of the ceiling against the attic as compared to…"
2 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service