In the discussion "Transforming Existing Buildings Through New Media: An Idea Exchange." the question of using Groupon or other couponing sites like Living Social came up. Consumers of the products are often looking for new products and services they might not otherwise try like an energy audit (my sister in law tried a pole dancing class with a few friends). If you use Groupon to sell an energy audit, it basically means you're going to give away they audit and hope to get paid back on the retrofit work on the backend if the customer follows through.

Has any tried social couponing? Any suggestions?

Views: 748

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a friend in a complete unrelated industry (waxing, aesthetician, etc.) who's used Groupon before.  What she discovered, and what I feel like I hear from outside our industry, is that the people who tend to pounce on these social coupons are often bottom feeders (not always but a lot of the time).  It's not a super way to build repeat business, but it can be a punch to the bottom line if your business needs that.  

'Sounds like that was your experience, Theresa.  People in it for the quick discount, but not for the long haul (or bigger expenses).

I totally agree. 

I personally like Groupon for deals on museums, eating out,etc., but as far a big ticket items it is not there. Groupon, in my opinion is aimed at the younger crowd and their android app allows you to instantly find deals and use them the same day. 

Energy audits are not in the same category. I was told about 3 months ago that Groupon is looking at specifically offering products for homes and homeowners.  At this point that is not their target group.  It is a much broader group and more "social" - going out, dining out, fitness, etc...

Thanks for all the input! 

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.  Home Energy Pros is sponsored by the Better Buildings Residential Network.

Latest Activity

Eric Kjelshus replied to Rod Fox's discussion Does calcification affect electric water heater aquastat temperature sensor performance?
"Those 240 Volt aquastats shut off and then on kinda quick back on.  The older the tank the…"
3 hours ago
Profile IconMike Norvell Sr and Jen Loomis joined Home Energy Pros
8 hours ago
Rod Fox replied to Rod Fox's discussion Does calcification affect electric water heater aquastat temperature sensor performance?
"Well I'd love to tell you folks I found an answer, but I did not... I went to my…"
12 hours ago
Rod Fox replied to Kevin Eigel's discussion What is the best energy auditing software?
"I've been trying to answer this question for many years and have not yet found an answer.…"
12 hours ago
Jerry Lawrence posted events
12 hours ago
Jan Green commented on Theresa L Gilbride's blog post Find out who's building some of the best-performing homes in the country today with DOE’s Tour of Zero
"Thank you for sharing! "
14 hours ago
Jan Green commented on Theresa L Gilbride's blog post Find out who's building some of the best-performing homes in the country today with DOE’s Tour of Zero
"We have one builder in Arizona on the DOE list.  Good information for a blog!"
14 hours ago
Beverly Lerch posted a photo

FIREPLACE FASHION COVER

A Fireplace Fashion Cover will insulate and isolate your fireplace against drafts and heat loss…
14 hours ago

© 2015   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service