In the discussion "Transforming Existing Buildings Through New Media: An Idea Exchange." the question of using Groupon or other couponing sites like Living Social came up. Consumers of the products are often looking for new products and services they might not otherwise try like an energy audit (my sister in law tried a pole dancing class with a few friends). If you use Groupon to sell an energy audit, it basically means you're going to give away they audit and hope to get paid back on the retrofit work on the backend if the customer follows through.

Has any tried social couponing? Any suggestions?

Views: 707

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a friend in a complete unrelated industry (waxing, aesthetician, etc.) who's used Groupon before.  What she discovered, and what I feel like I hear from outside our industry, is that the people who tend to pounce on these social coupons are often bottom feeders (not always but a lot of the time).  It's not a super way to build repeat business, but it can be a punch to the bottom line if your business needs that.  

'Sounds like that was your experience, Theresa.  People in it for the quick discount, but not for the long haul (or bigger expenses).

I totally agree. 

I personally like Groupon for deals on museums, eating out,etc., but as far a big ticket items it is not there. Groupon, in my opinion is aimed at the younger crowd and their android app allows you to instantly find deals and use them the same day. 

Energy audits are not in the same category. I was told about 3 months ago that Groupon is looking at specifically offering products for homes and homeowners.  At this point that is not their target group.  It is a much broader group and more "social" - going out, dining out, fitness, etc...

Thanks for all the input! 

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

jerry gentile replied to Chad Mcaulife's discussion BPI QCI Cert.
"you are spot on my friend-- during the exam I said this is ridiculous--- I have bpi certs for…"
52 minutes ago
Eric Kjelshus commented on Jeremy Begley's blog post The Home Envelope : Does it Really Matter in a Heat Loss Caculation
"IT all matters,  I lot of sealing,  A lot of air barrier.  A lot of "R" A…"
13 hours ago
Michael Dunseith posted a status
"BPI Infiltration and Duct leakage (IDL) Certified"
18 hours ago
Jeremy Begley posted a blog post
21 hours ago
Kim Burnett joined Sean Lintow Sr's group
Thumbnail

Best Practices (Residential)

Best Building, Retrofitting, or even Auditing Practices - what are they, what should change, what…See More
22 hours ago
Kent Mitchell commented on Adam Swain's blog post Top Worst Crawl Space Insulation Ideas
"Hi Adam - It sounds like you may be referring to enclosed crawlspaces - Here in the NW we've…"
yesterday
peter chang replied to Damien Greenfield's discussion Is there is cost saving for you in having a tankless water heater?
"I think it is quite possible the greatest savings will be realized by the lowest volume users. I…"
yesterday
Marie Fuentes is now a member of Home Energy Pros
yesterday

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service