In the discussion "Transforming Existing Buildings Through New Media: An Idea Exchange." the question of using Groupon or other couponing sites like Living Social came up. Consumers of the products are often looking for new products and services they might not otherwise try like an energy audit (my sister in law tried a pole dancing class with a few friends). If you use Groupon to sell an energy audit, it basically means you're going to give away they audit and hope to get paid back on the retrofit work on the backend if the customer follows through.

Has any tried social couponing? Any suggestions?

Views: 684

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a friend in a complete unrelated industry (waxing, aesthetician, etc.) who's used Groupon before.  What she discovered, and what I feel like I hear from outside our industry, is that the people who tend to pounce on these social coupons are often bottom feeders (not always but a lot of the time).  It's not a super way to build repeat business, but it can be a punch to the bottom line if your business needs that.  

'Sounds like that was your experience, Theresa.  People in it for the quick discount, but not for the long haul (or bigger expenses).

I totally agree. 

I personally like Groupon for deals on museums, eating out,etc., but as far a big ticket items it is not there. Groupon, in my opinion is aimed at the younger crowd and their android app allows you to instantly find deals and use them the same day. 

Energy audits are not in the same category. I was told about 3 months ago that Groupon is looking at specifically offering products for homes and homeowners.  At this point that is not their target group.  It is a much broader group and more "social" - going out, dining out, fitness, etc...

Thanks for all the input! 

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Hal Skinner replied to Hal Skinner's discussion The 'Touchy - Feely' sales pitch. in the group Radiant Control Coatings
"The 2nd bestsales tool I ever came up with.  aI will be happy to send anyone a test strip like…"
4 hours ago
Patrick Michaelyan joined Hal Skinner's group
Thumbnail

Radiant Control Coatings

A group where people who work with radiant control coatings can share their success stories and let…See More
6 hours ago
Joseph Lamy posted a blog post

After 70 years on the fence, knotty LED light fixtures hide the Ductless in splendor

After the first week, the ductless heat pump and I became so close that could never even think of…See More
9 hours ago
Profile IconHome Energy Pros now has Member Map
10 hours ago
Profile IconLaura Spencer and Ann Griffin joined Home Energy Pros
10 hours ago
Tom White posted a video

The Animals Save the Planet - Energy Efficient Penguin

"Energy saving bulbs use one fifth of the energy of ordinary bulbs." Help the animals save their planet and ours, use energy saving bulbs! http://fartingcow....
14 hours ago
Laurie DiDonato posted an event
Thumbnail

Hybrid HERS Rater Training at Online + Manchester, NH or Berlin, CT

September 22, 2014 at 9pm to October 10, 2014 at 7pm
Online Component- September 29th-October 10thChoose from 2 Classroom Sessions: October 27-30 –…See More
17 hours ago
William Reid replied to James White's discussion What happened to Home Energy Pro's website?
"It appears that a Plugin called HTTPS Everywhere was stopping some of the content in my case."
17 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service