In the discussion "Transforming Existing Buildings Through New Media: An Idea Exchange." the question of using Groupon or other couponing sites like Living Social came up. Consumers of the products are often looking for new products and services they might not otherwise try like an energy audit (my sister in law tried a pole dancing class with a few friends). If you use Groupon to sell an energy audit, it basically means you're going to give away they audit and hope to get paid back on the retrofit work on the backend if the customer follows through.

Has any tried social couponing? Any suggestions?

Views: 850

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a friend in a complete unrelated industry (waxing, aesthetician, etc.) who's used Groupon before.  What she discovered, and what I feel like I hear from outside our industry, is that the people who tend to pounce on these social coupons are often bottom feeders (not always but a lot of the time).  It's not a super way to build repeat business, but it can be a punch to the bottom line if your business needs that.  

'Sounds like that was your experience, Theresa.  People in it for the quick discount, but not for the long haul (or bigger expenses).

I totally agree. 

I personally like Groupon for deals on museums, eating out,etc., but as far a big ticket items it is not there. Groupon, in my opinion is aimed at the younger crowd and their android app allows you to instantly find deals and use them the same day. 

Energy audits are not in the same category. I was told about 3 months ago that Groupon is looking at specifically offering products for homes and homeowners.  At this point that is not their target group.  It is a much broader group and more "social" - going out, dining out, fitness, etc...

Thanks for all the input! 

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Ken Summers replied to Gregory Cisco's discussion Abandoning under-slab HVAC ductwork which fills with groundwater seasonally.
"My largest concern is moisture. I have seen mold forming on interior walls in the heating season…"
2 hours ago
Seth Romme replied to Sonja Persram's discussion Energy Savings Guarantee for single family dwellings in cold climate??
"Hi Sonja We provide home energy optimization services and provide a 5-year heating and cooling…"
4 hours ago
Lindsay Bachman posted events
5 hours ago
Derrick Koehn's video was featured

How Technology and Innovation Are Making Outdoor Wood Burning Stoves More Efficient and Environmentally Friendly

Introduction Since ancient times, wood burning has been used for heating in some capacity or other. Although, of late, wood stoves are thought of more as a decorative appliance than a heat source, in truth wood heat is still one of the most…
7 hours ago
Efficiency First California's blog post was featured
7 hours ago
Diane Chojnowski's event was featured
Thumbnail

Better Buildings Peer Exchange Call: Home Improvement Catalyst: Keeping the Ball Rolling with Homeowners by Delivering More Value at Eastern Time

September 21, 2017 from 1pm to 2:30pm
Thursday, September 21 1-2:30pm Eastern TimePlease join this Peer Exchange call to…See More
7 hours ago
Diane Chojnowski posted an event
Thumbnail

Better Buildings Peer Exchange Call: Home Improvement Catalyst: Keeping the Ball Rolling with Homeowners by Delivering More Value at Eastern Time

September 21, 2017 from 1pm to 2:30pm
Thursday, September 21 1-2:30pm Eastern TimePlease join this Peer Exchange call to…See More
7 hours ago
Lindsay Bachman is now a member of Home Energy Pros
10 hours ago

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

© 2017   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service