It seems that many consumers don't pay attention about energy efficiency until energy prices rise, there is a gas crisis or a rate increase. Any thoughts on increasing awareness and engagement by customers and consumers?

Tags: consumers, efficeincy, energy, marketing

Views: 521

Replies to This Discussion

This looks really interesting...

How is it working out?

WHO is using this?

Hey Donna,

It's going great - we've got people signing up daily to compete with friends to showcase how budget-savvy/green they are.  We're also partnering up with home energy pros, like Ciel Power, to help them build their social media presence using Energy Flair.

I perform energy loss analysis for homeowners , My company performs "value audits" + Sells HIGH QUALITY SSL using Ac/leds.

I agree that the primary motivator is saving money.Our forte is performing lighting audits .
The reality of the upcoming ban on incandescent bulbs (2012- 14) amplifies our message. Those consumers out there who can't discern
what constitutes quality Solid State lighting are bound to benefit from the
acumen of our 15 years selling/ promoting quality Leds.The point I'll make is this of all the laudable
improvements a home owner can make- I can't think of a better dynamic than switching to SSL. The kWh savings start as soon as the lights are in place, 20% reductions or greater are common.
The savings from electricity , the quality of light, the environmental benefits all add up to impending mass
migration to SSL.Being able to educate folks about what quality is, in Led lighting is my passion !
I'm anticipating a busy next few years as use of Leds will rapidily become standard lighting!

Couldn't agree more - we're taking word of mouth referrals online using Facebook and Twitter.

http://www.energyflair.com/reach-more-homeowners-through-facebook-a...

I'm planning to publish results from our new service by the end of the summer.  If you'd like to learn more, just let me know.  -rajesh@energyflair.com

A good video would do wonders - particularly if had a trusted and well known spokesperson and came from an organization like BPI or RESNET that needs to improve its consumer awareness and better support its supporters. Beyond that, this is a tough housing market and economy that has people unwilling to invest in their 'underwater' homes and tax credits and incentives are pretty stingy, so they wait for something better. The 'green economy' needs help.   

It's very interesting that all agree that consumers are entities exhibiting no or very little love of life and what supports life.  The perception supporting the consensus deserves to be tested, because reducing entanglements with fuels/electricity is a way to authentically manifest such love.  Do we know, or merely assume, that all the (potential) lovers of life retrofitted their domiciles some time ago?

Home energy pros could (co)host or (co)sponsor attractive events (let's brainstorm!) to bring out people who do (or nearly do) love life and its support system.  There is no need to mention going green!  I think it's better not to do so, as it's now an irritating signal to too many.  Once out/identified, those people can immediately become prospects, if not customers.  Court them with respect.  Throughout the period in which you sustain a relationship with them, listen carefully to them, not only because they have networks!

I think that the many "rebate" and incentive programs have a reverse effect and should be done away with, frankly.  Imagine being hungry and walking into a restaurant and having your waitress inform you that she will pay YOU to eat a steak.  It is absurd ... and consumers already know that REAL value comes at some cost to them. 

http://jimbushart.wordpress.com/2012/06/06/save-energy-and-money-by...

I have created a grassroots Energy Awareness campaign, www.joulefool.com, to share articles and knowledge through my blog and Facebook page.  I sell no products or services.  I am a LEED AP, BD+C who currently works in Aerospace performing thermal analyses on spacecraft.  However, I have a passion for architecture and energy efficiency and want other to learn to save as well. 

I think this company, http://utilities.simpleenergy.com/, has a neat idea.  They make energy savings into a game and a "Biggest Loser" contest.  My company currently uses a similar technique through Virgin Healthmiles which rewards people for taking healthy actions and daily fitness.  They use a pedometer to track steps and then reward you for reaching certain goals.

If we can get energy companies involved to create similar programs, then we can raise awareness and engagement.  It's amazing what people will do for a prize as simple as a T-Shirt!

Regards,

Marc

JouleFool

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Steve Waclo posted a discussion

Underperforming? Energy Efficiency of HVAC Equipment Suffers Due to Poor Installation

Hello all,A search of the site seems to indicate this recently published study from NIST has not…See More
3 hours ago
Steve Waclo joined Allison A. Bailes III's group
Thumbnail

HVAC

HVAC design, Manuals J, S, T, & D, Duct leakage, Air flow, ENERGY STAR new home requirements,…See More
3 hours ago
Bob Blanchette posted a discussion

Dual Fuel Systems, at what point do they make sense?

Heat Pump with furnace backup. These make no sense in our area with local NG rates, but they do…See More
17 hours ago
Bob Blanchette joined Hal Skinner's group
Thumbnail

The RCC Classroom (Radiant Control Coatings)

A group where energy professionals can learn about all the different energy saving aspects of…See More
17 hours ago
Shashank Kirloskar posted a blog post

Important Facts about Solar Energy

“I’d put my money on the sun and solar energy. What a source of power! I hope we don’t have to wait…See More
Thursday
reflintorm replied to Dennis McCarthy's discussion Solid state lighting - saves lives- and it improves life .
"In my observation, In most of the lightning appliances led bulbs are used because of their…"
Thursday
Chad Mcaulife posted photos
Wednesday
Bob Blanchette commented on Jeremy Begley's blog post The Home Envelope : Does it Really Matter in a Heat Loss Calculation
"Infiltration makes a HUGE difference. Look at the heat loads on a windy day vs. a calm one. On a…"
Wednesday

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service