Greetings

First of all......

* As we upgrade and build new....

I think it is time to eliminate atmospherically vented appliances from the breathing zones of our homes

* I realize that the effects of wind and mechanical equipment can and often do overwhelm Stack Effect.

My current favorite online resources for visualizing "Stack Effect" are.....

*John Straube's Article

http://www.buildingscience.com/documents/digests/bsd-014-air-flow-c...

*John Klote's Article

http://fire.nist.gov/bfrlpubs/fire91/PDF/f91013.pdf

*Bud Poll's Worksheet

http://myenergyworkshop.homestead.com/hot-air.html

I plan to post some Illustrations and see if you folks agree with my current thinking about the location of Neutral Pressure Planes

Meanwhile...

Does anyone else have suggestions for online links concerning  "Stack Effect"?

Views: 4289

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

An important element of the Klote report is that he uses a simplifying formula that only approximates the typical multiple vertical opening model.

"Analytic equations have been developed for the location of the neutral pressure plane for a few simple cases of leakage openings. However, the combinations of leakage openings in building shafts and compartments can be very complex... Analysis is simpler for horizontal openings, because the pressure difference across the opening does not vary with elevation. The analysis of this section is for horizontal openings…Vertical vents can be approximated by horizontal vents when the height of each vent is small compared to the height of the air column."

In a 2500 SF house with 1 ACH50 (about 350 CFM50), the Effective Leakage Area (ELA @ 4 Pa) is about 8 square inches. Since the blower door test is conducted with deliberate leaks sealed, this envelope leakage area is similar to what we might expect from dampered mechanical openings, making both deliberate and accidental leakage areas equally significant.

I'm still not sure what you're trying to accomplish by "controlling" the height of the NPP, especially given that - as you attest - the actual NPP will vary with both wind and mechanical effects.

Here's another link to an old article, CBD-23. Air Leakage in Buildings, from the National Research Council of Canada:

http://archive.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/eng/ibp/irc/cbd/building-digest-23.html

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

j. west shared Christopher Morin's blog post on Facebook
4 hours ago
j. west commented on Christopher Morin's blog post UPDATED: Big Changes for Duct Testing in MA
"You're right Christopher- the trick to saving the profit margin is being in several places at…"
4 hours ago
tedkidd replied to Christopher Talarico's discussion Heating with Tankless Water Heater & Hydronic Air Handler vs. Gas Furnace
"Nice posts Steven and Eric.   Scale on my combi is a recurring problem.  Attaching…"
5 hours ago
Eric Kjelshus replied to Christopher Talarico's discussion Heating with Tankless Water Heater & Hydronic Air Handler vs. Gas Furnace
"I find the tank less hot water lime up.   I have a condensate pump that I pump white vinegar…"
5 hours ago
Trip Smith joined James Sayers's group
Thumbnail

Marketing Energy Efficiency

Sharing ideas, tools and examples of promoting energy efficiency to consumersSee More
6 hours ago
Trip Smith joined Hal Skinner's group
Thumbnail

The RCC Classroom (Radiant Control Coatings)

A group where energy professionals can learn about all the different energy saving aspects of…See More
7 hours ago
Trip Smith commented on Diane Chojnowski's group Facebook Pages
"Just went through the first few pages liking the active Facebook pages. I've found that…"
7 hours ago
Trip Smith joined Diane Chojnowski's group
Thumbnail

Facebook Pages

Does your company or organization have a Facebook Page?This group is for pros who have facebook…See More
7 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service