I'm wondering if anyone out there has come across specific language for the attachment of fiberglass insulation over an unconditioned crawl space.  I realize there are various ways to accomplish proper installation where the insulation material makes contact with the floor diaphragm.  Personally I prefer to see the use of nylon twine as a means of attachment and I'm wondering if anyone happens to know of any recommended spacing guidelines for the attachment points of a zig zag pattern of twine when used for support of floor insulation.

Views: 2394

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

That all makes sense. Having spent the last 20 years building and remodeling homes and only the last 4 concentrating on building science and weatherization, I am still trying to figure out what many of you veterans have already learned. I thank you for the responses and your time.

See section 3.2 of the ENERGY STAR TERC guidelines

From the "Retrofit Workforce Guidelines" (which are still in critical care & unavailable at the moment - but from my review)

7.36 Accessible Floors (between conditioned & unconditioned space) – personally not the best choice down south, but that’s for another day

• 7.36.1: Sealing the floor system will be completed before installing – very nicely stated
  • 7.36.2: Insulation will be installed in contact with subfloor without gaps, voids, compressions, misalignments, or wind intrusions & If kraft-faced batts are used, they will be installed with kraft facing to subfloor  - also very nicely stated (though kraft is worse thing you can use)
  • 7.36.3: Batts will be secured with physical fasteners TO ensure insulation remains in contact with subfloor – the only issue is that they also need to minimize compression while still keeping it from sagging

I assume you're aware of the latest Building Science rant from Dr. Joe in which he argues against the requirement that insulation be in contact with subfloor (I excerpt it here at http://homeenergypros.lbl.gov/forum/topics/another-irreverent-whine...), and will try to get this changed in the next IRC code revision.

But why do you say that Kraft facing is a problem? It meets the IRC guideline for a 1 perm vapor retarder.

Thanks Robert & yes I am but that doesn't apply to the here, now or the question posed. 

As for the question about the kraft - no matter where you are at, if one is going to use such a product the last thing you want is water being trapped against it & the subfloor whether it is from moisture in the air, over active cleaners, plumbing leaks, or water splashed from tubs, showers, or sinks. Maybe you guys have less issues up north, but down here unfaced FG is bad enough & the kraft style seemingly just makes it worse

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Colin Genge replied to billy g pinnick jr's discussion Blower Door Question
"Sales said, barring use for writing an article, you can buy one and have 30 days to try it out with…"
1 hour ago
Colin Genge replied to billy g pinnick jr's discussion Blower Door Question
"I assume from Billy's text that he is maintaining -50 Pa as he is sealing. I have done tech…"
1 hour ago
Profile IconErica Sullivan and julie klump joined Home Energy Pros
1 hour ago
Linda Wigington posted an event

Intro to the 1000 Home Challenge Webinar at Eastern Time

December 19, 2014 from 1pm to 2:30pm
Find out how to participate in the 1000 Home Challenge, and explore the results from the first 24…See More
18 hours ago
Linda Wigington replied to Chie Kawahara's discussion THC Candidate Shares Energy Data in the group 1000 Home Challenge
"Congrats to Chie and Kurt! Their home recently achieved Passive House Certification! "
18 hours ago
Chad Mcaulife replied to GEORGE LEVOSINSKI's discussion Good Deals, 66% off Price New in the group Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase
"How much for just the blaster? "
19 hours ago
Chad Mcaulife joined allen p tanner's group
Thumbnail

Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase

Discuss the pros and cons of the equipment you are interested in prior to purchase. Post equipment…See More
19 hours ago
Chad Mcaulife joined Leslie McDowell, BPI's group
Thumbnail

Building Performance Institute (BPI)

BPI is the nation's premier standards development, quality assurance and credentialing organization…See More
19 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service