I've been doing HP assessments for 12 years, but find myself a little limited in my knowledge of this issue.

Here's the scenario: I do an initial assessment where I find a 7-year old NG water heater with 1500 ppm undiluted CO. The homeowner brings in his plumber to "fix" it. The plumber, who doesn't own a CO monitor, cleans the burner and air intake grill, and proclaims it good. After work is done on the home, I re-test and find the CO to be even higher this time, and the draft weak.

What typically can be done to a fairly new water heater to fix the CO problem? The gas/air ratio must be out of wack, I'm thinking. Is it usually corrected by replacing the gas control valve?

The homeowner is left hanging, the plumber is without a clue and me telling him it needs to be corrected. I would recommend a different plumber, but I want to find out what a knowledgeable individual would typically do to correct this, short of replacing it. One thing I know is I need to align with a knowledgeable person to address this in the future.

John Shillito

Tags: CO, heater, plumber, water

Views: 578

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have to agree with Kurt. 2000 ppm is exceedingly high. I have tested hundreds of hot water heater (NG, Oil) and mostly they come in around 16 ppm. There is clearly something wrong and we all know that a gas hot water draft can easily be compromised. 

hey thanks for the links. Very informative on FVIR units

Hello John (and everyone else in the forum),

I'm a new visitor at this forum and it this is my first post. I look forward to more sharing and learning in the future.

The first condition that I would investigate the "weak draft". Is the flame lazy too? Is the equipment in place the same as what the flue was originally designed for?

I find the best place to contact when at a loss is the manufacturer's technical support.

Steve

RSS

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Chris Laumer-Giddens posted a blog post
3 hours ago
John Livermore's video was featured

Healthy Home Healthy Planet

Find out how we... - Zeroed out our home's carbon footprint - Stopped paying energy bills - Helped the planet And became the 1st renovated home in Massachuse...
5 hours ago
Sean Lintow Sr added a discussion to the group Best Practices (Residential)
Thumbnail

Radon - Passive Systems

Just curious - many locals (per codes) require…See More
7 hours ago
Duncan Cumming posted a blog post

Preparing for Winter: Time for Your Central Heating Check Up

With winter just around the corner, make certain you are not left out in the cold – get your…See More
11 hours ago
Joe Crisara posted a blog post

Give Your False Assumptions a Knockout Punch

By Derek LauberWe face seemingly unlimited obstacles when trying to manage and grow our…See More
22 hours ago
Profile IconJoe Crisara, Earth Advantage, Sydney G. Roberts and 6 more joined Home Energy Pros
23 hours ago
Jonny Fisher added a discussion to the group Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase
Thumbnail

Minneapolis Blower Doors and Duct Blaster for sale

I have two Minneapolis Blower Doors + DG 700, duct blaster with manometer and some other…See More
23 hours ago
Jonny Fisher replied to Hamed Ghanbari's discussion Need a Minneapolis Blower Door + DG 700 in the group Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase
"I have two Minneapolis blower doors with DG 700.  I also have some other used equipment if you…"
23 hours ago

© 2016   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service