I've been doing HP assessments for 12 years, but find myself a little limited in my knowledge of this issue.

Here's the scenario: I do an initial assessment where I find a 7-year old NG water heater with 1500 ppm undiluted CO. The homeowner brings in his plumber to "fix" it. The plumber, who doesn't own a CO monitor, cleans the burner and air intake grill, and proclaims it good. After work is done on the home, I re-test and find the CO to be even higher this time, and the draft weak.

What typically can be done to a fairly new water heater to fix the CO problem? The gas/air ratio must be out of wack, I'm thinking. Is it usually corrected by replacing the gas control valve?

The homeowner is left hanging, the plumber is without a clue and me telling him it needs to be corrected. I would recommend a different plumber, but I want to find out what a knowledgeable individual would typically do to correct this, short of replacing it. One thing I know is I need to align with a knowledgeable person to address this in the future.

John Shillito

Tags: CO, heater, plumber, water

Views: 632

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have to agree with Kurt. 2000 ppm is exceedingly high. I have tested hundreds of hot water heater (NG, Oil) and mostly they come in around 16 ppm. There is clearly something wrong and we all know that a gas hot water draft can easily be compromised. 

hey thanks for the links. Very informative on FVIR units

Hello John (and everyone else in the forum),

I'm a new visitor at this forum and it this is my first post. I look forward to more sharing and learning in the future.

The first condition that I would investigate the "weak draft". Is the flame lazy too? Is the equipment in place the same as what the flue was originally designed for?

I find the best place to contact when at a loss is the manufacturer's technical support.

Steve

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

Twitter

Latest Activity

Diane Chojnowski commented on Chris Dorsi's blog post My Favorite Announcement of the Year
"Congratulations Michelle Nochisaki and Ed Matos!  "
26 minutes ago
Chris Dorsi's blog post was featured

My Favorite Announcement of the Year

Each year, Habitat X engages in…See More
27 minutes ago
Sydney G. Roberts commented on Tom White's video
Thumbnail

Building Science Insights -- To Vent or Not to Vent

"R Higgins, you can insulate exterior with with foam board or nailbase when you reroof and then…"
42 minutes ago
Steven Lefler posted a status
10 hours ago
Ryan T De La Rosa is now a member of Home Energy Pros
11 hours ago
Chris Dorsi posted a blog post

My Favorite Announcement of the Year

Each year, Habitat X engages in…See More
12 hours ago
R Higgins replied to Energy Wise Solutions's discussion No Utility Homes, Are we ready to start building Homes that are not connected to traditional utilities ?
"First off, check the laws in your area.  Drought prone areas often prohibit on site collection…"
20 hours ago
R Higgins commented on Tom White's video
Thumbnail

Building Science Insights -- To Vent or Not to Vent

"Great lecture, kept thinking, but what about existing buildings.  Too little room at eaves for…"
20 hours ago

© 2016   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service