I've been searching the web, including sites dedicated to energy efficiency in residential building, and I cannot find substantiated facts related to how much energy Recessed Can Lights consume.  I'd love to see comparisons of non-IC, IC, and ICAT cans regarding measurable facts on how their air leakage contributes to energy usage.  The only study I can find is from Penn State University that was done maybe 10 years ago, and it was short on details.  I'm not asking about electric consumption; only about energy consumption regarding air infiltration.  Can anyone help?

Tags: Recessed, air, can, infiltration, lights, recessed

Views: 79

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am trying to understand your question properly... are you asking what the potential "energy/heat loss" would be through the recessed cans cut-outs? Do you have the article link that you had mentioned?

Hi Caron,

Yes, here is the link to the article: http://arizonasolarwave.com/docs/recessed-lights-air-leakage-phrc.pdf.

Here's a relevant quote from the article that hints at the information I'm looking for: "As part of the inspection protocol, blower door testing, done in conjunction with infrared imaging, has revealed that out of all the possible air leakage sites in a house, can lights are responsible for the worst leakage."  But they don't give numbers, except for claiming that one can light can be responsible for transmitting up to 1/3 gallon of water per day into the attic, and between $5-30 per year in energy costs.  The study was done in 1992.  Surely we have more recent data with more numbers. 

When we do pressure pan testing with the Blower Door running, we also check can lights to show the home owner.  Invariably, we find most can lights to test at 35-50 pascals while the Blower Door is running at 50 pascals.  Quite a lot of air infiltration, but we're not running a study with publishable numbers.  Are there any updated data out there on recessed can lights?

Hi

Good luck getting the lastest #s Let me add to your list of variables , beyond

talking about the thermal attributes of the various popular LED lights - something that should be considered is

the air infiltration and exfiltration though the ventilated fixtures designed for incandescent lamps & their heat output.

Changing to appropriate, and contemporary SSL including Oleds means that these holes in folks ceilings, would

need to be re- thought as they may be wholey unnecessary for 21st century lighting schemes-

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Kaushal Bharath Raju replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Thanks Chie! We have this event in our calender."
8 hours ago
Kaushal Bharath Raju replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Hi Alice; I tried sending you an e-mail but the message bounced. Can you kindly verify your e-mail…"
8 hours ago
Chie Kawahara replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Hi Kaushal, Thousand Home Challenge is a wonderful forum and the resource collection is…"
8 hours ago
Alice La Pierre replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Hello Kaushal, While it's true I did some of the finish work myself, I also acted as my own…"
11 hours ago
"Thank you Linda for your response; and your generosity in sharing your suggestion and hope. I…"
11 hours ago
"Wow...thank you so much for your response Alice! I really appreciate it. It is simply amazing all…"
11 hours ago
Tom White's 3 videos were featured
11 hours ago
Jim Gunshinan's blog post was featured
11 hours ago
Sharon Block's 3 events were featured
11 hours ago
Tom White posted videos
12 hours ago
Linda Wigington replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Kaushal I just spent more than an hour on a detailed response and lost when I decided to check the…"
12 hours ago
Sharon Block posted events
12 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service