Expressed concerns over the scope of work that the vendors are performing with employees in the HES program, work relating to the combustion testing of fossil fuel heating appliances.

The Heating, Piping and Cooling Work Examining Board has ruled that that CAZ combustion testing is licensable work and cannot be performed by any individual(s) without proper licensure pursuant to Chapter 393 of the Connecticut General Statutes and Regulations.

The Heating, Piping and Cooling Work Examining Board has a meeting scheduled for Monday, May 23 , 2011 at 9:30 a.m. in Room-126 at the Department of Consumer Protection, 165 Capitol Avenue, Hartford, CT. The purpose of this meeting is to provide them with an overview of the HES program for review and clarity as to the licensure requirements for work that may pertain to licensure work under Chapter 393 of the Connecticut General Statutes.

Views: 184

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

John,

I dont know where you got that from but, you better check your  BPI policy and procedures manual. you are now BPI trainined to know better. Just because your working in a differant program or under a different desigation (HERS,WAP etc) doesnt mean you can now look the other way.

BPI Certifications also ensure that the candidate understands the interaction of specific building systems with other building systems so that it does not create conditions that are harmful to life,

limb or property.

Building Analyst Professional Certification Examination Specification

This certification is intended for those individuals who conduct building performance audits, including measurement and verification services with related building analysis.

(this statment should cover every one on your doesnt apply list)

If something ever went wrong on your job site a lawyer would have a field day.

BPI Certification

individuals by BPI or its affiliates, to prove knowledge, skills and professional competency in the building performance industry designations. ( any designation)

BPI Accredited Organization

– An entity that complies with certain requirements set by BPI that is intended to enhance the delivery of consistent, quality focused building performance services.

Here in Maine we are required by the State to hold Licensure in both Oil and Gas in order to perform Caz testing.  These limited technician licenses allow for testing procedures only and adhere to strict protocol.

Fortunately for us, many BPI Analysts had the benefit of being taught by the estimable Senor Karg.  Safety of all concerned was the over riding factor.

We at Maintenance Men have chosen to turn down several Retrofit opportunities due to safety issues investment property owners refused to correct. 

We hold several BPI and other Certifications. The ethics and knowledge of the inspector is far more important to training than certificate.  It is one thing to pass an exam, it is another to be able to conceptualize, retain and actualize the information infield conditions.  CAZ testing is critical but, with all things, it takes practice.  It needs to be done in a variety of circumstance but in a consistent manner.  Adhering to a strict set of protocols is essential.  An hour of training in no way prepares someone for what they encounter in the field.

John M, I hate to say it but that is not accurate. If you are an Accredited Contractor, no matter what "programs" you are running, you are bound to a contract that you signed with BPI. This is an accurate depiction of the bigger problem.

John, I just checked on BPI's website, and your company is an Accredited Contractor. You may want to go to BPI's website and download the polocies and procedures that Green Star should be following as an Accreditied Contractor. If I can help you with any information, just let me know. We need to be the elite in this or any other state as BPI Accredited Contractors and miss information is what will get those in trouble if not paying attention and will also give a bad reputation to the name of BPI and the status of "Accredited Contractor". If you go to BPI's home page and click on "Documents" on the upper bar, then click on "policies and procedures". From there click on "BPI Accreditation Policies and Procedures" which will bring you to a 17 page document that someone in your company must have read and signed. Please make yourself aware of your obligations as an Accreditied Contractor so that we keep this status in good standing with both consumers and program implimenters within the state.
The fox has been minding the hen house.Thats why we got into thing in the first place.

Mr. Dunseith,

At the meeting today in Hartford, things were a little confusing. UI and CL&P tried selling the board on letting HES vendors drill and test for "CO" levels, not stating that we test for draft and efficiency. When asked the question, they said "no, were not testing that". I couldn't believe it. They then asked if the technicians did a "smoke" test on oil units, and the guy from UI said "yeah, we test spillage"...not knowing what a smoke test was. The board decided to not rule on this yet and have the states lawyers look over the wording of the CT General Status which the board believes to mean that only licensed HVAC or oil burner technicians can actually do the "combustion testing". The next meeting is in July and I will do my homeowrk before then and pass along information. Certain states are ammending procedures so this testing can be done by others, so I'll try to pass along that information. I'll keep you updated.

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Kent Mitchell commented on Adam Swain's blog post Top Worst Crawl Space Insulation Ideas
"Hi Adam - It sounds like you may be referring to enclosed crawlspaces - Here in the NW we've…"
9 minutes ago
peter chang replied to Damien Greenfield's discussion Is there is cost saving for you in having a tankless water heater?
"I think it is quite possible the greatest savings will be realized by the lowest volume users. I…"
30 minutes ago
Marie Fuentes is now a member of Home Energy Pros
32 minutes ago
peter chang replied to peter chang's discussion Programmable tstat for electric baseboard?
"Good plan, thanks. That looks pretty much like how I used to program mine (when I had one). Maybe…"
1 hour ago
Bob Blanchette replied to peter chang's discussion Programmable tstat for electric baseboard?
"Since the sun heats the house to 78f during the day, cutting the power from the time you leave for…"
2 hours ago
peter chang replied to peter chang's discussion Programmable tstat for electric baseboard?
"Yes, in fact I did just that for my kitchen toe-kick heater because the original thermostat was on…"
9 hours ago
Bob Blanchette replied to peter chang's discussion Programmable tstat for electric baseboard?
"Savings depends a LOT on how it's programmed. I've even done a setup with a contactor,…"
16 hours ago
Bob Blanchette replied to Hal Skinner's discussion Any success getting landlords to energy upgrade a single family rental unit?
"Sell utility subsidized services to the tenants. It has to pay back within a year though."
16 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service