Expressed concerns over the scope of work that the vendors are performing with employees in the HES program, work relating to the combustion testing of fossil fuel heating appliances.

The Heating, Piping and Cooling Work Examining Board has ruled that that CAZ combustion testing is licensable work and cannot be performed by any individual(s) without proper licensure pursuant to Chapter 393 of the Connecticut General Statutes and Regulations.

The Heating, Piping and Cooling Work Examining Board has a meeting scheduled for Monday, May 23 , 2011 at 9:30 a.m. in Room-126 at the Department of Consumer Protection, 165 Capitol Avenue, Hartford, CT. The purpose of this meeting is to provide them with an overview of the HES program for review and clarity as to the licensure requirements for work that may pertain to licensure work under Chapter 393 of the Connecticut General Statutes.

Views: 183

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Do you think that they will allow BPI certified personal  to CAZ test any time soon?
As of right now the answer is no, but that may change after the meeting next Monday. I'll be going to the meeting on the 23rd and at least will be representing independant contractors looking to test properly. The head of the board from the Consumer Protection Agency told me yesterday that he doesn't believe taking a BPI class is enough to learn how to test. I don't agree but I'll be present on Monday to voice mu opinoun
That is in-line with many others states and quite honestly a smart choice. While I know plenty of BPI or RESNET individuals more than qualified to do the work, that doesn't apply to all of them much less the majority of them. Shoot I had two different versions on how to perform the test given by two different instructors - one left off a few important steps, while the other one said all types of flues should be drilled

Sean,

2 different instructors and 2 different ways to do CAZ testing? Was that for each of your BPI certs?

I'm curious as to where you received your training.  Did you contact BPI regarding the poor qualifications of the trainers? As a super proctor I see many new students as well as BPI certified professionals that that have been trained by so call industry leaders and do not have a clue as to what or why they do certain tests. The industry grew so fast that many there are quite a few groups out there in it for the money and teaching to the test. Many hire anyone that has a certification even if they just received it and their last job was flipping burgers. Its one thing to have a few new people out there not sure of what they are doing but to have instructors teaching large groups wrong is scary. Its up to people like you to keep BPI informed to unqualified instructors passing out inaccurate information. BPI cant be everywhere but I know they are interested in maintaining high caliber professionals in the Home Performance industry.

Michael, that's correct - one for BA & the other for Envelope

The trainers & stuff were blogged about here: http://blog.sls-construction.com/tag/bpi (towards the bottom) which was pretty hard to do as the last thing you want to do is tick off your instructor that is testing you later. Shoot, I missed the missing steps from the first instructor - it wasn't till the second one that I had a "wait a sec, you do what" moment

As for the points you make about the training & issues - no argument and thus my comments on many not being qualified. As for informing BPI - I know they read the articles, but personally they appear to be more concerned about their logo than fixing issues.

Installing a carbon monoxide detector in the CAZ is the optimal long term health and safety solution - you never know when a squirrel or 'coon will jump into a chinmey! Of course if you want to short term test for combustion appliance efficiency to upsell a more efficent unit, CAZ testing is great. 
I'd have to agree that there seems to be a wide variety of, shall we say, styles of CAZ testing out there among the HP Contractors.  I've been monitoring an energy program for work, and I'm amazed at the differences in approach by contractors. When questioned, each one said that this was the way they were trained.  So, there is something going on with the trainers, whether they are BPI, or some other org's trainers (Build it Green, or ?).  It made me realize, though, that when I was going to hire someone to do my own house with its quirky antique water heater, that I wanted the company that I observed to provide the safest, most methodical approach.  It would be interesting to see what happens if the Heating, Piping and Cooling Work Examining Board decides that BPI cert. is not enough, and what impact that would have on the industry here on the west coast.  And I agree, a propert CO monitor that tracks CO levels, and provides warning alerts, as opposed to letting you know that you should be sick or dead by now, would be the ideal product to have in every home.  I certainly have one.
BPI certainly does care about it's reputation and states that it does not teach, but yet sets standards. Every BPI certified auditor very well should know the proper procedure, but as Sean stated, did not learn properly from Clean Edison. Yes, that should be reported to BPI. Sean, you seem to think that BPI is not so concerned about it's training affiliates and I would dissagree. They are presently putting together a Q&A structure for the training affiliates that will be taking effect soon. As Mike stated, BPI has grown faster than anyone expected this last year, which in large part goes to the Home Star legislation that never passed. Getting back to basic's, if anyone has taken a BA course and didn't learn CAZ testing, then I would hope they are smart enough to not be testing! Sean, I read your blog about Clean Edison and I agree with you. I'm not sure where their priorities are centered, the industry or the profits. As far as Connecticut is concerned, I do indeed hope something changes and we are allowed to drill. After all, that is what we are talking about here. The state won't allow us to drill into flue's, although many are already drilled pror to us arriving. The state wants drilling to be done by licensed Heating contractors. I've been building for 27 years and have been into building performance enough years that yes, I know the proper locations and know how to drill and what not to drill into. Again, if someone has questions, then they shouldn't be doing it, that's just common sense. States have been changing their views on this recently and I think Connecticut will also. We shall see!

One thing to remember, a one week course some times less doesn’t make anyone an expert. Its basic knowledge!

BPI promotes working within your limits of professional competency. If you don’t know what you’re doing – Please, DON'T DO IT!

And just because it’s on YouTube doesn’t mean its right!

I have to find bifocals to read what your saying...what happened to your font size? All joking aside, you couldn't be any more correct Mike!

Thanks for posting this. Very Interesting, A large number of oil systems have test holes in flues already, 95% otherwise try to get probe down into undiluted gases.

Yes, Theres been ongoing concern re air sealing and combustion safety by HES vendors.

WX audits dont require CAZ or worst case, only combusiton analysis and draft.

The state doesnt allow air sealing when CFM50 is under 2000.   (thats debatable b/c of BPI standards)

Last week through DSS, we were very fortuanate to have Pure Energy Coach come up to conduct training on air sealing and combustion safety specifically. One of my comments to an associate was that HES vendors and oil contractors should've been present...the training was extremely valuable. We see and hear  first hand what oil guys are do to peoples heating systems and rarley provide actual combusition gas results with a CTT.

I'm gonna give you a call tomorrow. I'd like to attend the hearing.

Don't forget BPI guidelines only appiy to the Comprehensive Home Assesement, or CHA, which is part of the Home Performance with Energy Star program, a performance based program which mandates a full energy model with test in / test out. WAP, HES, Home TuneUp, HERS ratings, etc. aren't HPwES so BPI doesn't apply.    

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Profile IconEthan Bukowiec and Andy Li joined Home Energy Pros
5 hours ago
Bob Blanchette replied to w d's discussion Managing Solar Energy
"Look into passive solar heating. The south windows have enough overhang that the windows are shaded…"
17 hours ago
Steve Waclo commented on Kaplan Clean Tech's blog post The Difference Between Home Inspection and Energy Auditing [Infographic]
"Excellent graphic summary but I don't agree Home Inspectors also check energy use. I believe…"
yesterday
Steve Waclo replied to Linda Wigington's discussion Low-cost electricity monitoring: Accuracy & Applications in the group 1000 Home Challenge
""The problem with plug in energy testers is they miss most of a typical homes energy use. 240v…"
yesterday
w d posted a discussion

Managing Solar Energy

What's the state of the art on managing solar energy (esp. at the home)?There's surely no…See More
yesterday
Bud Poll posted a discussion

Inconsistant Local Authotity

It becomes frustrating to give people modern advice and then have to backtrack and tell them to do…See More
yesterday
Morgan Hunter replied to Isaiah Borel's discussion Blown Cellulose VS Blown Fiberglass in the Attic
"Up here In Canada Fibreglass wins hands down for heat loss! Check back 5, 10 & 20 years later…"
yesterday
Bob Blanchette replied to Linda Wigington's discussion Low-cost electricity monitoring: Accuracy & Applications in the group 1000 Home Challenge
"The problem with plug in energy testers is they miss most of a typical homes energy use. 240v…"
Saturday

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service