Folks, I have gotten an email from RESNET stating that this has been extended and made retroactive to Jan. 1, 2010.

Has anyone gotten more details on this yet? I want to make sure that there are no changes in the requirements for a home to qualify, etc.

Views: 262

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

John, I missed this. Will you please post the RESNET message here? 

Thanks!

I'm also finding it very difficult to find anything about this other than second hand. Is it official, what are the qualifications and tax credit amounts etc.? I keep finding links to Energy Star, which is only showing credits for consumer products. I have a client inquiring about this and it's embarrassing to say that I don't know.
Also check the DSIRE website link given by Vivek Mohta (which answers my original question: there are no changes from the expired program).  This should be real good news to HERS raters.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: RESNET a href="mailto:sbaden@resnet.us">sbaden@resnet.us>
Date: Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 10:19 AM
Subject: Congress Extends Federal Tax Credit for Energy Efficient Homes and Other Residential Energy Efficiency Tax Credits
To: dmitri@greenstarwi.com

Congress Extends Federal Tax Credit for Energy Efficient Homes and Other Residential Energy Efficiency Tax Credits

After hard work by RESNET and its strategic allies, last night Congress  extended the $2,000 federal tax credit for builders who build energy efficient homes. The extension
is from January 1, 2010 to December 31, 2011.  The extension was
part of a sweeping tax package negotiated by the White House and Republican
Congressional leaders.  

The legislation also includes a provision that extends the tax credit for consumers who purchase qualified energy saving products, but lowers the credit to its pre-economic
recovery act levels.  The new bill extends the credit to the end of
2011, but reduces the incentive to the original 10% up to $500. Included are
provisions limiting window incentives to $200, oil and gas furnace and boiler
incentives to $150-200, and water heater and wood heating system incentives to
$300. As part of the legislation, Congress tightened the specifications for oil
furnaces and boilers and gas boilers to 95% efficiency, up from the 90%
efficiency in current credit.

The tax credit for highly energy efficient appliances was extended for one year, and the efficiency criteria and incentives have been updated to provide incentives
only for products that are significantly more efficient than today's average new
product. The credit goes to manufacturers.

President Obama is expected to sign the legislation into law this week.

A
priority of RESNET is 2011 is to work to have Congress enact legislation for
performance based tax credits.  This would include creating a performance based
credit for comprehensive energy performance upgrades and a higher tax incentive
for builders who build homes that are rated a 50 on the HERS Index or lower. 
There will be a session focused on this at the 2011 RESNET Building Performance
Conference.  For a schedule of sessions that will be offered at the conference
click on 2011 RESNET
Conference

Safe Unsubscribe
This email was sent to dmitri@greenstarwi.com by sbaden@resnet.us.

RESNET | PO Box 4561 | Oceanside | CA | 92052

Version: 8.5.449 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3321 - Release Date: 12/17/10 07:34:00
I saw Vivek's post earlier and it is exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks!

"The Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 reinstated this credit retroactively for homes acquired after December 31, 2009 and before January 1, 2012." Details at DSIRE, probably the best site on Federal and state incentives: http://www.dsireusa.org/incentives/incentive.cfm?Incentive_Code=US4...

I still wonder why this doesn't show up on the Energy Star or RESNET websites.  I know it's not directly linked to either, but still seems like a huge benefit of going through their systems/requirements.
Yes, but still don't see any mention of the $2000 tax credit for builders building to 50% of the current energy code, as mentioned on the IRS site.

Since the credit has been made retroactive and extended (as opposed to being amended or appended), I suspect the forms and procedures for claiming it will not be changed. We should be able to find out most things by referring to the existing documents.

The form used for claiming this tax credit in 2009 is located at the following URL.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8908.pdf

Before the credit is approved, a home energy rating must be performed by a HERS rater using specific software tools that are "best tested." Below are the vendors, their products/version numbers, and personnel contact names. The top tool costs around $250 and is available only to accredited HERS providers. Here's a URL where you can "try it free for 15 days."

http://www.energygauge.com/usares/trial.htm

1.  Florida Solar Energy Center
EnergyGauge® USA version 2.5
EnergyGauge® USA version 2.6
 Tei Kucharski

2.  Architectural Energy Corporation
REM/Rate v.12.2
REM/Rate v.12.3
REM/Rate v.12.4
REM/Rate v.12.5
REM/Rate v.12.6
REM/Rate v.12.7
REM/Rate v.12.2 - 12.9
 V. Robert Salcido, P.E., LEED AP

3.  Enercomp, Inc.
MICROPAS7 v7.1
MICROPAS7 v7.3
MICROPAS7 v7.4
 Ken Nittler and Robert Scott

4.  Energy Soft
EnergyPro v4.4
 Martyn Dodd

5.  Recurve
 Chris McClellan

Straight out of the IRS' Notice 2006-27 are the following instructions for filing for the tax credit

Ensure certification contains all of the following:
.01 The name, address, and telephone number of the eligible certifier.
.02 The address of the dwelling unit.
.03 A statement by the eligible certifier that--
(1) The dwelling unit has a projected level of annual heating and cooling energy consumption that is at least 50 percent below the annual level of heating and cooling energy consumption of a reference dwelling unit in the same climate zone;
(2) Building envelope component improvements alone account for a level of annual heating and cooling energy consumption that is at least 10 percent below the annual level of heating and cooling energy consumption of a reference dwelling unit in the same climate zone; and
(3) Heating and cooling energy and cost savings have been calculated in the manner prescribed in section 2.02 of this notice.
.04 A statement by the eligible certifier that field inspections of the dwelling unit (or of other dwelling units under the sampling protocol described below) performed by the eligible certifier during and after the completion of construction have confirmed that all features of the home affecting such heating and cooling energy consumption comply with the design specifications provided to the eligible certifier. With respect to builders
who build at least 85 homes a year or build subdivisions with the same floor plan using the same subcontractors, the eligible certifier may use the sampling protocol found in the current ENERGY STAR® for Homes Sampling Protocol Guidelines instead of inspecting all of the homes. The sampling protocols can be found at the following web address:
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=bldrs_lenders_raters.pt_homes...
.05 A list identifying--
(1) The dwelling unit’s energy efficient building envelope components and their respective energy performance rating as required by section 401.3 of the 2004 IECC Supplement; and
(2) The energy efficient heating and cooling equipment installed in the dwelling unit and the energy efficiency performance of such equipment as rated under applicable Department of Energy Appliance Standards test procedures.
.06 Identification of the listed software program used to calculate energy consumption (see section 5 of this notice).
.07 A declaration, applicable to the certification and any accompanying documents, signed by a person currently authorized to bind the eligible certifier in these matters, in the following form:
“Under penalties of perjury, I declare that I have examined this certification, including accompanying documents, and to the best of my knowledge and belief, the facts presented in support of this certification are true, correct, and complete.”

Here's the URL.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-06-27.pdf

And here's the link to eQuest, the DOE's free building energy analysis tool so you can start practicing. I hear that eQuest is about to get approved for HERS rater use, at least in California.

http://doe2.com/equest/

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Profile IconJuan Roca and Elizabeth Coe joined Home Energy Pros
2 hours ago
Casey Gesell posted videos
2 hours ago
Gerald Shechter posted videos
2 hours ago
Hal Skinner replied to Hal Skinner's discussion An example of what an RCC can do with no R- insulation in the walls.
"Bret,  here are the 2 reports I referred…"
5 hours ago
Craig Foley shared George Kopf's discussion on Twitter
5 hours ago
Jan Green replied to George Kopf's discussion Real Estate Professionals need our support - but how?
"Craig, I like your thinking!  With my new broker, I've been able to communicate more…"
6 hours ago
Craig Foley replied to George Kopf's discussion Real Estate Professionals need our support - but how?
"Thanks Jan, your insight, as always, is invaluable. Your suggestions regarding a top down approach…"
6 hours ago
Hal Skinner replied to Hal Skinner's discussion An example of what an RCC can do with no R- insulation in the walls.
"Brett, you just asked the million dollar question when it comes to OUR coating. Now I will let the…"
6 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service