I first learned in my BPI class of 2008 was that we would not be using or taught to use any energy modeling software.  The story was that they did like the previously used software (TREAT) and would be providing a new program "in the future."  Didn't happen.

Who knows of an reasonably easy to use, reasonably priced, reasonably accurate modeling software?

Views: 3703

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

George,

Contractors throughout the Energy Upgrade California program area will be able to use Recurve software to submit program applications as soon as we get CEC compliance.

As for HERS II, the interim performance approach has been extended beyond July 1, 2011, and Recurve will be approved shortly by the CEC under this interim approach. We are not pursuing HERSII approval under the current structure.

Best,

Chris

Hi Chris-

I too contacted Recuve about purchasing your product and spoke to a rep named Ray. He told me he wasn't sure if you are still selling your software but would pass on my info if I emailed him. I emailed him last week and hope that my experience will not parallel Jim's.

Aaron

Here in Philadelphia, I believe ECA is the largest facilitator of program work. They sent out a notice to their auditors days ago that they are moving from Recurve to a new software because Recurve has sold and will no longer be available, except to utilities.

Maybe someone could clarify exactly what is going on here.

I was surprised by the finality of this development and based on this it would seem that they are no longer "in the game" for the stand alone auditor or those outside of the utility-program world.

I feel badly for all the energy put into the implementation and learning of Recurve, especially for this community based organization. 

Hancock Software has the iPad/iPhone auditing tool HEAT that is based on the DOE approved SMOCKERS.  Very simple user interface, very accurate results.

The HEAT Energy Auditing Application on the AppStore with free trials:  http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/heat-professional-home-energy/id4261...

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Thank you,

Nicole Reineke

Product Manager

Ann, I was also impressed with the simplicity of the EPS audit and the fact that Michael Blasnik's results beat those of most other audits in terms of accuracy.  However, some of the features that are claimed as being unique, have been part of CMC Energy Services' Home Tune-uP software since 2003, which is "a pay as you go tool, easy to use, may be be modified with suggestions and observations by the home energy professional".  What differentiates EPS from Home Tune-uP, is that EPS shows "total energy consumption and related carbon emission" whereas Home Tune-uP shows the home improvements that are affordable because the savings on the energy bill each year exceed the annual costs when financed. For home-buyers and home-owners, affordability is crucial, for government programs, energy saving and carbon emission is crucial.  When you have a win-win-win situation, I think it best to also have a pay-pay-pay situation, where each beneficiary pays for the benefits they receive.  The Home Tune-uP software has been approved by DOE, and possibly could offer a political compromise since most of the cost for improvements are paid by the beneficiaries.    

Doris, I like your response, and I like Michael Blasniks presentations...It seems Mr. Blasniks articles and teachings are counter to the typical energy groups out there, at least hopefully the bad ones...whats your insight to Mr. Blasnik?

Are you using EPS, if not why? and what are you using if not EPS, Tune-up?

Thanks much,

Robert Haverlock

Sustainable Building Adviser and Energy consultant

Robert, EPS is an Energy Performance Score that compares the energy efficiency of one building to that of other similar buildings. Home Tune-uP provides a detailed list of the group of energy efficiency improvements that save more each year on the energy bill than they cost when financed. Home Tune-uP  persuades buyers of older homes to invest in energy efficiency since the improvements to their homes cost them nothing ... they are paid for from the wasted energy saved.

I agree that Mr. Blasniks approach and results are more realistic than others. However, Home Tune-uP is more accurate for a whole-house analysis since it compares the change in the energy used for the house "as is" to the energy used for the house after all changes are made. Thus it takes account of the inter-relationship of different improvements, say the heating load and the heating system.        

So as not read copious amounts of emails, I still don;t have a clear picture of whats out there, How many?, what works and what doesn't? It seems that Recurve and Energy-Tune-uP are the only things talked about...and Sorry Adam, I just saw your thread on links to other software programs - Thanks for that!

-cheers

Similar to Recurve, Hancock's HEAT models the home on site and delivers energy savings and reports that can be printed at the homeowners house.  HEAT's app works on the ipad.  An energy auditor from DC that uses it is speaking at a webinar Best Practice next week, 3 p.m. ET Tuesday April 19, 2011 -- sign up to see it here: https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/565383497   . He'll talk about what it's like to not use paper and carry the iPad in tight spaces, as well as the energy modeling capabilities.

Here is HEAT on the app store: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/heat-professional-home-energy/id4261...

Please consider that adding that a solar-gain wall to southern exposures can eliminate a winter heating bill entirely in many homes, collecting thermal energy is too important to omit the point.

The effect of passive solar is to throw the existing wall into being a thermal-mass to store daily heat, heating the inside above what it can store. Adding any kind of greenhouse lean-to removes the wind so get out the lawn chairs for what's really a modified porch intending to gain heat and be shaded during summer. Transluscent greenhouse glazing rolls are  great so framing light, or, all the way to thermopanes & forced air systems that perhaps would want more mass to store the daily needs on a cloudy day in either as brick wainscot or large aquariums.

These software tools are good to know & use, but collecting & storing thermal energy can be "built-in" this way to existing homes where sites allow so easily and pays so well that I wanted to direct some attention to autonomous architectural methods becoming part of the software, thus on the list of the alternatives for the home or building owner.

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Profile IconRich Snyder, Laura Spencer and Ann Griffin joined Home Energy Pros
10 minutes ago
Scott Katznelson posted a discussion

Database of zip code or county by climate zone

HI.  I'm looking for a database that could help me assess the average energy use of a home (per…See More
5 hours ago
Hal Skinner replied to Hal Skinner's discussion The 'Touchy - Feely' sales pitch. in the group Radiant Control Coatings
"The 2nd bestsales tool I ever came up with.  aI will be happy to send anyone a test strip like…"
12 hours ago
Patrick Michaelyan joined Hal Skinner's group
Thumbnail

Radiant Control Coatings

A group where people who work with radiant control coatings can share their success stories and let…See More
14 hours ago
Joseph Lamy posted a blog post

After 70 years on the fence, knotty LED light fixtures hide the Ductless in splendor

After the first week, the ductless heat pump and I became so close that could never even think of…See More
17 hours ago
Profile IconHome Energy Pros now has Member Map
18 hours ago
Tom White posted a video

The Animals Save the Planet - Energy Efficient Penguin

"Energy saving bulbs use one fifth of the energy of ordinary bulbs." Help the animals save their planet and ours, use energy saving bulbs! http://fartingcow....
22 hours ago
Laurie DiDonato posted an event
Thumbnail

Hybrid HERS Rater Training at Online + Manchester, NH or Berlin, CT

September 22, 2014 at 9pm to October 10, 2014 at 7pm
Online Component- September 29th-October 10thChoose from 2 Classroom Sessions: October 27-30 –…See More
yesterday

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service