For the past 2 years, I have been manually collecting data and generating reports in word. I offer a short report (4-7 pages) which covers the basic BPI requirements and red flags any hazards, and a much more robust report (over 20 pages) which serves as a long term guide towards sustainability. The larger report features many graphs, pictures, and site specific images.

While my clients think the large report is fantastic, it takes an inordinate amount of time to create. I have been looking for the "silver bullet" software solution that makes the auditing process, reporting, retrofit scope of work, and sales much more efficient. Last spring, I participated in a webinar for Recurve and I had hoped that Recurve would be that "silver bullet", but I have no idea if or when it will ever be released. 

A homeowner hired me to retrofit their house after they had an audit by a large company with locations in 3 states. Their report was atrocious. They erroneously overestimated the square footage by 1500 sq.ft. and therefore all their conclusions were WAY OFF. While they had 5 pages of IR images depicting air leakage, they offered no solutions. Even with the evidence of so much air leakage, the auditor declared them OK because the error in house size threw off all of his air leakage conclusions. The only concrete solution this company offered was to change light bulbs and buy a solar attic fan; which they happen to sell. The home in question had mostly cathedral ceilings and an attic fan would have only exaserbated the stack effect due to inadequate passive roof ventilation. Clearly, this company's system did not work. This type of shoddy reporting will give us all a BAD name. Maybe a better software and system would have helped this inexperienced auditor produce an accurate and helpful report. But clearly this company has much larger issues too.

1) How do you pre-qualify a homeowner before the audit?

2) How are you auditors collecting data, generating reports, and selling retrofits?

3) What software, if any do you use?

4) How do you handle images? 

Views: 5043

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Kent----thanks for clarifing that RESNET does not have their own software. I figured you knew something that others would want to know. RESNET has three approved software progams for raters.Where you are located and what others in your area are using sometimes makes one think that's all there is.

If you have not given Phil Jeffers software a test drive, it's worth an investigation. Sometimes folks don't want or need all that REMRATE can do.

Phil, 

I have a couple of questions. 

I use a Galaxy Tab Wifi version. In cases where wifi is unavailable (not uncommon in Central PA); can this program be used as a fillable form while on site and then finish up at the office when back online?

What is the cost of the product?

Why only Firefox & MSN? Chrome will not work?

Thank you.

Hi Robert,

My name is Ben, I'm one of the co-founders of Snugg Home.  I realize this is an old post but I also know that these concerns from 2011 are still all too common in the energy efficiency world of today. I thought i would chime in because we designed Snugg Pro to address a number of the points you and others in this thread have brought up.

Reporting:

Snugg Pro saves a lot of time by automating page layouts, pulling in audit data etc...  Most of our users report very substantial time savings after switching to Snugg Pro. The end result is a beautiful and highly customizable report. Here is an example of what the report looks like.

Photo handling:

Our tool lets you drag, drop, crop and resize photos really intuitively. You can take picture directly from your mobile device, grab them from google drive or upload them from your computer. 

Device compatibility:

Snugg Pro is a web based tool so it runs on Android, iOS, Windows, Mac and even Linux.  The interface adapts to your device intelligently so you can use it on smart phones, tablets, and laptops.  Because it's cloud based, you can even collaborate in real time on a job with another colleague (in the field or at the office).

This is our website if you'd like to learn more: SnuggPro.com

Check out SnuggHome everyone. It's awesome software that was developed and widely used here in CO.

http://snuggpro.com/

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

Twitter

Latest Activity

Profile IconSteve Last, Paul J Anzalone Jr, Jon Traudt and 1 more joined Home Energy Pros
11 hours ago
Jamie Medlin replied to angela stanzione's discussion Used Weatherization and auditing equipment for sale in the group Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase
"Please let me know if the flowhood  still for sale. jmedlin@archonenergysolutions.com"
yesterday
Jamie Medlin joined allen p tanner's group
Thumbnail

Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase

Discuss the pros and cons of the equipment you are interested in prior to purchase. Post equipment…See More
yesterday
Laurie DiDonato posted an event
Thumbnail

HERS Rater Training Discount: Register by 1/6/17 and Get $100 Off! at Energize CT Center, North Haven, CT

January 23, 2017 to February 3, 2017
Become a HERS Rater with the NEHERS Alliance!Online Component: January 23rd-February 3rd, 2017 -…See More
yesterday
angela stanzione replied to angela stanzione's discussion Used Weatherization and auditing equipment for sale in the group Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase
"Yes, I do. Pictures are above. I have a newer fan, I have a frame in a case and I have panels."
yesterday
Tom Phillips replied to Bruce Ceniceros's discussion How effective are whole house air cleaners?
"re: costs:  I suspect the added UV & PCO & ESP has a big price tag but no clear…"
Thursday
David Baerg replied to angela stanzione's discussion Used Weatherization and auditing equipment for sale in the group Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase
"Hi Angela, Do you have any fans left?  Frames?  Panels? Thanks, Dave"
Thursday
Hannah Wood joined Leslie McDowell, BPI's group
Thumbnail

Building Performance Institute (BPI)

BPI is the nation's premier standards development, quality assurance and credentialing organization…See More
Thursday

© 2016   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service