If one had a large-scale home retrofit program with the goal of saving energy, what would be the pros and cons of a policy to replace all standing pilot light furnaces?  Health and safety improvements count, as do energy savings.

Views: 3316

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

1) Turn down the gas pressure, that is a crazy big pilot

2) Replacing this cast iron beauty is a lot more complicated than it sounds. Unless the distribution system is also updated, return water temps will be >120F resulting in your new 90%+ mod con boiler running at 80% efficiency. A boiler like this if running properly will be 75% efficient.

3) The coal soot left in every possible place throughout the distribution system will plug up the low flow heat exchanger of any 90%+ boiler I have seen except the Burnham Revolution. I learned this the hard way!

4) Most people do not have the funds for boiler replacement and serious weatherization upgrades. When forced to choose, I will recommend the weatherization every time.

5) In 50 years when this boiler is still running without issues, how many times will the tech have to come out and service the mod con that is now past it's useful life? If you follow the manufacturer's advice, 16 cleanings at $100 each adds $1600 to the cost of operation.

Most HVAC contractors make their money with changing these old dogs out, but they still have their place. By reducing the load, through air sealing and insulating we reduce the fuel used and if after that the homeowner still wants to buy a Prius or solar panels or a new mod con boiler, then great, but not until the enclosure is tight.

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.  Home Energy Pros is sponsored by the Better Buildings Residential Network.

Latest Activity

Dale Pickard replied to Rod Fox's discussion Does altitude affect AFUE? or just the input/output BTUs?
"Hans, The car manufacturer's are doing it with mass flow sensors and oxygen sensors…"
41 minutes ago
Dale Pickard replied to Rod Fox's discussion Does altitude affect AFUE? or just the input/output BTUs?
"I was trying to avoid naming manufacturers, but I was going by the published information for the…"
53 minutes ago
Eric Kjelshus replied to Rod Fox's discussion Does altitude affect AFUE? or just the input/output BTUs?
"I look at this not about AFUE,  but flue gas dewpoint.  If your burn rate is rotting the…"
3 hours ago
Bob Blanchette replied to Kirsten Richnavsky's discussion Crawl spaces and attics: OSHA to implement new rule on confined spaces
"Keeping HVAC equipment out of attics should be part of the new code. "
4 hours ago
Linda Wigington replied to Linda Wigington's discussion Weigh in - Honorable Mention? 2nd Base? Half-Way There? 50% Better? On the Path? in the group 1000 Home Challenge
"Nickie -  Good points. I think it is easy enough to flag or designate projects that achieve…"
5 hours ago
Morgan M Audetat replied to Rod Fox's discussion Does altitude affect AFUE? or just the input/output BTUs?
"Though Viessmann is relatively unique in the application of Lambda technology to condensing…"
6 hours ago
Lars olsen posted a blog post
14 hours ago
Eric Kjelshus replied to Rod Fox's discussion Does altitude affect AFUE? or just the input/output BTUs?
"The heat exchanger gets burnt out, if presser is to high or if mix is to rich, then I see holes in…"
yesterday

© 2015   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service