I would be very much interested in knowing, as professionals) how many members have had questions about Health Issues from EMF (Electro Magnetic fields ) 

I would like to further discuss this issue if it is relevent to this forum

Thanks

Views: 196

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have heard the question many times.  I have no answers.  I would like to hear from experts.

One good source is the Environmental Health Trust,https://ehtrust.org/

EMF is one of the most-researched topics in the history of public health. The World Health Organization has a lot of info:

http://www.who.int/peh-emf/about/WhatisEMF/en/index1.html

Like visible light, EMF (and other radiation) follows the inverse-square law, so moving away from the source rapidly reduces the field strength. An everyday example would be the difference between looking at a camera flash close to your face vs. at a flash from across a room.

EMFs are everywhere and in varying strengths and frequencies. In my experience a small percentage of the population report that they are very sensitive to EMFs (I have a few such clients). This may be similar to some who are very sensitive to air pollutants such s VOCs, mold and other allergens. What we do know it that the effects of electromagnetic radiation varies with the frequency and distance from the source. The frequencies of the microwave region can cook food from the inside out. Frequencies of the mid-infrared band will transfer a lot of thermal energy (such as from the sun) and of course there is the visible light band. EMFs are generally not considered a health risk, unless you spend any significant time close to a source, such as living next to a high voltage power line or (transformer) substation or talking on your cellphone with it next to your ear for extended periods.

We are occasionally requested to test for EMF's in the course of our home inspections. I use a reasonably priced gauss meter and I walk from an area of near-zero reading toward the suspected source/s. I make no interpretation of readings but I have shared pdf research articles with clients who request them. Several of those clients have walked away from their proposed home purchase after seeing the meter max out when it nears the cell tower, high tension lines, transformer, or other EMF source. Being a big believer in the precautionary principle I would do the same thing were I in their situation. 

RSS

Forum Discussions

Origin of guarded blower door testing

Started by Kim Tanner in General Forum. Last reply by Eric Kjelshus Aug 17. 9 Replies

Electro Magnetic Fields (EMF)

Started by Barry L NewDelman in General Forum. Last reply by Daniel Cullen Aug 10. 5 Replies

When is it too windy to use blower door?

Started by Brandon Walton in General Forum. Last reply by Iain Walker Aug 10. 17 Replies

Latest Activity

Tina Baldt added 2 discussions to the group Job Board
2 hours ago
Laurie DiDonato updated an event
Thumbnail

Hybrid HERS Rater Training September 2017 (NH) at Online/ Classroom in Manchester, NH

September 11, 2017 at 9am to October 6, 2017 at 5pm
EXTENDED DEADLINE: Register by August 29th!This training has been approved by the MA Workforce…See More
3 hours ago
Profile IconCharles Bracco, Ryan Gath, Steve Klunder and 11 more joined Home Energy Pros
7 hours ago
Mark Bloomfield added a discussion to the group Job Board
Thumbnail

HVAC Designer with Manual J and D Experience

Job Description:Sustainably Built (SB) of Boulder, Colorado is dedicated to helping architects,…See More
yesterday

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

© 2017   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service