When using the Duct Blaster I have found it necessary to seal the combustion air grilles on the furnace door and flue on an 80% afue gas furnace in order to obtain accurate leakage results. Any comments?

Views: 175

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Far from my expertise, but there should be no connection between the combustion side and the conditioned air side.  The only thing I can think of would be duct side leakage inside the cabinet then accessing the combustion side through the air intake.  Of course there is a possibility of a cracked air exchanger, but not something you would run into on every unit, I would hope.  I'll be watching to see what the pros have to say.

Bud

Damien, if you do that, your results are inaccurate and of course the HVAC guy has an issue to find & fix

The duct test doesn't test just the ducts, but the whole air handling apparatus. The only exception is the version where the air handler hasn't been installed & then they are only allowed 4% leakage per the 2009 codes. With that said many municipalities don't accept that test & we simply won't perform it

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Walter Ahlgrim replied to James White's discussion What happened to Home Energy Pro's website?
"Try downloading Google Chrome web browser https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/ I had similar…"
2 hours ago
Stacy Hunt posted an event

Building America Webinar: Multifamily Ventilation Strategies and Compartmentalization Requirements at Virtual

September 24, 2014 from 3pm to 4:30pm
The Building America Program is hosting a no-cost, webinar-based training on Multifamily…See More
3 hours ago
Ben Jacobs replied to Bud Poll's discussion Another benefit from air sealing
"This is info I give to clients that I serve. People who live in homes that are not energy efficient…"
5 hours ago
Brennan Less replied to Bud Poll's discussion Another benefit from air sealing
"Thanks Bud. I just feel the need to point out any such issues, because we as a field need to be…"
8 hours ago
Bud Poll replied to Bud Poll's discussion Another benefit from air sealing
"Hi Brennan, "weak and irrational" is not at all what I was trying to communicate. …"
9 hours ago
Christopher Talarico replied to Christopher Talarico's discussion Heating with Tankless Water Heater & Hydronic Air Handler vs. Gas Furnace
"Barbara, thanks for the info - this is some of the research I was interested in seeing. That report…"
9 hours ago
Brennan Less replied to Bud Poll's discussion Another benefit from air sealing
"I would love to see such matters discussed on this forum without broadly characterizing women as…"
9 hours ago
Eric Kjelshus commented on Christopher Morin's blog post Top 5 Changes to ACCA Manual S
"I run loads each day.  BUT my completion does not,    I see so much over sizing…"
9 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service