When using the Duct Blaster I have found it necessary to seal the combustion air grilles on the furnace door and flue on an 80% afue gas furnace in order to obtain accurate leakage results. Any comments?

Views: 188

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Far from my expertise, but there should be no connection between the combustion side and the conditioned air side.  The only thing I can think of would be duct side leakage inside the cabinet then accessing the combustion side through the air intake.  Of course there is a possibility of a cracked air exchanger, but not something you would run into on every unit, I would hope.  I'll be watching to see what the pros have to say.

Bud

Damien, if you do that, your results are inaccurate and of course the HVAC guy has an issue to find & fix

The duct test doesn't test just the ducts, but the whole air handling apparatus. The only exception is the version where the air handler hasn't been installed & then they are only allowed 4% leakage per the 2009 codes. With that said many municipalities don't accept that test & we simply won't perform it

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

Twitter

Latest Activity

Crosbey Archery replied to Don Hynek's discussion Testing "Magic Pak" units?? in the group Multifamily Buildings
"second-floor (and higher) units without humping a ladder all the way around the building is a very…"
1 hour ago
Colin Genge posted events
9 hours ago
Profile IconJon Turnbaugh, Lights N More and John Kamas joined Home Energy Pros
9 hours ago
Amber Vignieri posted a blog post

Relay Network Targets Multifamily Housing Upgrades Nationwide

Affordable apartment buildings are home to more than 10 million American households, making them a…See More
11 hours ago
Tom White's video was featured

Robby Schwarz on Builder Collaboration

Hear Robby Schwarz, of EnergyLogic discuss the value Owens Corning brings to Thrive Home Builders.
15 hours ago
Crosbey Archery liked Don Hynek's discussion Testing "Magic Pak" units??
17 hours ago
Crosbey Archery joined Norm Bourassa's group
Thumbnail

Multifamily Buildings

For too long there has been relatively little EE focus on multifamily, but some new programs have…See More
17 hours ago
Crosbey Archery liked Crosbey Archery's blog post Energy Tips - Fresh Look at Heating and Cooling the Home
17 hours ago

© 2016   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service