Does altitude affect AFUE? or just the input/output BTUs?

I searched and searched and searched yesterday for an answer to the question "Does altitude affect AFUE?" but did not come up with any definitive answers. Hopefully this discussion will answer that question more easily for folks in the future.

Derating combustion appliances typically applies the equation of about 2% per 1000 ft above sea level (from most manufacturer's specifications). So here in Santa Fe (at 7000 ft ASL), the derate would be 14%. Applying this to a 100 MBTUH input capacity appliance, the "natural" derating would make the appliance's input capacity actually 86 MBTUH. In all of the documentation I could find I could not determine if this derating ever affected the advertised AFUE or SSE rating, only the actual input/output in direct relation to the AFUE.

So my first question is, after an appliance has been naturally derated for altitude, can it be assumed to still function at the manufacturer's AFUE?

And then my second question is, assuming the above is true, and from what I have read here (http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=219042&d=1..., see appendix E), it would seem that Steady State Efficiency (and consequently, AFUE) actually improves with altitude. I know, right? Does anyone know at which rate the SSE (or AFUE) might improve with each 1000 ft increment above sea level?

Tags: AFUE, BTUH, Efficiency, SSE, State, Steady, altitude, derate, input

Views: 677

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dale and I are referring to high efficiency condensing boilers designed to recover the latent heat of vaporization in a secondary heat exchanger designed for acidic condensate and capable of the highest combustion efficiency available in a gas-fired appliance. 

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.  Home Energy Pros is sponsored by the Better Buildings Residential Network.

Latest Activity

Crosbey Archery posted photos
11 minutes ago
Benjamin Mailian replied to Kevin Eigel's discussion What is the best energy auditing software?
"This is an old post but it's still very relevant so I thought I'd give our app a mention…"
4 hours ago
Profile IconMarissaCortese, Justin Tyrrell, McHale Insulation and 1 more joined Home Energy Pros
7 hours ago
Diane Chojnowski replied to Jose Macho's discussion Google Sunroof Project- Where Are They Going with Solar?
" "
13 hours ago
Tom White's blog post was featured

Deconstructing and Moving a Historic Home

This spring in New Orleans I hosted “True Tales of Haunted Home Performance,” at the Home…See More
14 hours ago
Tom White posted a blog post

Deconstructing and Moving a Historic Home

This spring in New Orleans I hosted “True Tales of Haunted Home Performance,” at the Home…See More
16 hours ago
Kim Tanner posted a discussion

Acronym Challenge!

We challenge you to make suggestions to help troubleshoot the below problem using as many acronyms…See More
19 hours ago
Kim Tanner joined Brandon Walton's group
Thumbnail

Efficiency First Arizona Chapter

Efficiency First of Arizona is the Official State Chapter of that unites the Home Performance…See More
19 hours ago

© 2015   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service