Does anyone have any information about the SCORE program?  It was scheduled to start in summer 2011.  Part of V.P. Biden's "Recovery through Retrofit" program.  This was supposed to be one of the BIG achievements.  Ring any bells?

Views: 2729

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Evan, I 100% agree with you.  In order for the HEScore to launch successfully, the tests and technical data must be flawless.

Congrats for the excellent work at LBNL !

The wait for everything rolling out successfully will be well worth it!

I went to the website. It was wildly inaccurate on heating costs even before I air sealed and insulated (did not use blower door, IR camera or comp-u-tater). The only gizmo I used was the brain of an old school Carpenter updated with new found information and 30 years of building experience. If you know how they are built you know where the problems are. Any 6 day wonders out there that can diagnose a house without gizmos?

Phil,

I went to the link also and was quit surprised by the results. I'm living in an Energy Star house that I built and the results are quit surprising without knowing what equipment, windows and insulation I have in the house. I could see this as a valuable tool though. My next question is, by clicking on the link to have an energy audit performed, who's going to show up at my door? What kind of qualifications will that person have? How does an independant auditor get on that list?

I sent you my email address in a message here. I'm not thrilled with the SCORE tool and the way the DOE is approaching it...it definately cuts the independant auditor out of the picture.

Very interested to find out more about this lead-generation software.  Especially in other countries.  Here's my contact info:  tom@energy-general.com.  I am a select, high-end, highly-educated, highly-trained, fully certified energy auditor and one of the designers of the first energy audit - and I don't know what you are referring to in these comments.  I look forward to learning about the world wide licenses and instant access to the database.  Thanks!

While we are getting updates, has anything changed that will allow independent energy auditors to utilize SCORE.  As last I determined, I would NOT have access to this tool, yet some large competitor might, making it a tool I would rather not see put into play.  I would love it if I could EASILY sign up and take a simple test and level the playing field.  But I haven't heard that.

Is this tool still going to be used against the independents or are we going to be able to join in the process.  Note: I don't consider having to work underneath some large controlling organization as being independent.

Bud

I don't believe there are currently any for-profit partners utilizing the tool, of any size.  My clients respond well when I tell them I have applied a rating "similar to the one being developed by DOE."  I tell them I like what I see at LBL and keep in touch with Joan Glickman to monitor progress, and think we are on the right path.  Then take a look at their total usage in millions of Btus and see where they stand relative to what EIA says for your region.  There's no modeling involved but as long as you are consistent, it's a good relative analysis. And it'll be a pretty smooth transition to the HEScore when it becomes generally available.

Tom, one of my points from the question above is, will it become available to all.  The term generally has so far been used to imply all, but the fine print, so to speak, say not.  As for making it available to the non-profits, my biggest competitor is my state, ie a non-profit, so I'm hoping they do not sign up.

I appreciate LBL and I appreciate DOE, but I disagree with their direction.  And I'm sure they would disagree with mine.  The only salvation is that we both have the same end goal, except I'm not into making things more difficult just to create jobs.

Bud

No.  It will not be available to all.  You will have to be associated with one of the partners.  You will also have to be BPI or RESNET accredited.  I suggested they allow ICC certified professionals, state licensed home inspectors, AEE certified professionals or licensed engineers.  No to all.  If you would like to offer helpful suggestions you can contact them at homeenergyscore@ee.doe.gov   Sometimes they reply.  Usually not.

This was sent to me when I asked to become certified.

Hello, Thank you for your interest in the U.S. Department of Energy's (DOE) Home Energy Score.
DOE is working to recruit existing residential energy efficiency programs, state and local energy
offices, and utilities as partners.Contractors must participate under these partner programs to be
eligible for qualified assessor training. We have added you to the Home Energy Score interested
assessors distribution list to keep you informed as the partnerships develop.
In the interim, you can inquire with your local utility, energy office, or other programs about the
Home Energy Score availability near you. If they are interested, please ask them to email
homeenergyscore@sra.com with Partner Interest in the Subject. Thanks again for your interest.
Cortney Krauss The Home Energy Score Team

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Mst. Fatema Aktar is now a member of Home Energy Pros
47 minutes ago
Robert Leone added a discussion to the group Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase
Thumbnail

Blower Door Package for Sale

Hi,I am selling my blower door with extras as a package or individually. These items are used but…See More
7 hours ago
Profile IconRobert Leone and Richard Vito joined allen p tanner's group
Thumbnail

Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase

Discuss the pros and cons of the equipment you are interested in prior to purchase. Post equipment…See More
7 hours ago
Richard Vito joined Sean Lintow Sr's group
Thumbnail

Best Practices (Residential)

Best Building, Retrofitting, or even Auditing Practices - what are they, what should change, what…See More
15 hours ago
Richard Vito joined James Sayers's group
Thumbnail

Marketing Energy Efficiency

Sharing ideas, tools and examples of promoting energy efficiency to consumersSee More
15 hours ago
Richard Vito joined Allison A. Bailes III's group
Thumbnail

HVAC

HVAC design, Manuals J, S, T, & D, Duct leakage, Air flow, ENERGY STAR new home requirements,…See More
15 hours ago
Richard Vito joined Kyle Brown's group
Thumbnail

Wrightsoft - Manual J / Manual D

If you use Wrightsoft to calculate loads or design ducts, you likely have questions.  Get answers…See More
15 hours ago
Jim Gunshinan commented on Jim Gunshinan's blog post Energy Upgrade California—Up Close and Personal
"I had a revelation while attending Bruce Manclark's session of duct leak testing at the Energy…"
yesterday
George J. Nesbitt commented on Jim Gunshinan's blog post Energy Upgrade California—Up Close and Personal
"Blower Door; the 2007 test was a depressurization test, and the 2014 a pressurization test, which…"
yesterday
George J. Nesbitt replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Plan, plan, plan, plan. The 1st step to is to understand the house, how it's built, the…"
yesterday
George J. Nesbitt posted an event

High Performance Windows - A Panel of Experts at Pyramid Alehouse`

April 26, 2014 from 3pm to 5pm
Join a lively panel discussion on high performance windows. We'll cover some basics, as well as…See More
yesterday
Kaushal Bharath Raju replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Hi David, Thanks for pointing out Martin Holiday's article. I do not wish to engage in the…"
yesterday

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service