Is anybody out there using the DOE Home Energy Score?  If so, are you using it as a supplement to current WAP/home performance work or are you using it for some other reason?

Views: 1110

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You do the audits? 

How can I persuade a realtor to let me provide complimentary energy audits to every buyer during the inspection period for transparency or for any other reason?

I would like to use the data to add the features to an energy efficient mortgage for buyers. Isn't the EEM very complicated to implement?...HERS is the only audit allowed for EEM?

What kind of audit ? HES, HERS?

THANKS.

Craig McManus

asolarpro@gmail.com

I'll email you my ideas on the topic. 

Jan, this is so good to hear, you have lucky buyers. We are hoping that the HEScore will encourage the both the seller and buyer to expect it - much like the standard home inspection. Actually there a many home inspectors that are gearing up to include the HEScore.

I struggle with DOE HES scoring in Southern Calif.  I get high scores in homes with single-pane windows, poor insulation in attic, leaky ducting.....  DOE advises of the benign climate I'm in.  We have some of the highest energy utility costs in the country.  I anticipate that these homes will experience high energy utility bills and comfort issues. 

Hi Will - Have you considered doing an energy audit instead to fully reveal the opportunities for upgrades in these homes? Based on what you've said, there is cause for concern about the legitimacy of the HES tool.

Yes.  Completed over 400 BPI protocol energy assessments using Energypro required for Energy Upgrade Calif rebates since 2013.  Candidly these EAs are cost prohibitive from the consumer perspective even with attractive rebates.  These are mandated programs driven by Calif Energy Commission to the energy utilities.  Utilities have recently cut budget to promote & admin. these programs at all.  My phone stopped ringing for the last several months.

I've worked with Snugg Pro, Energypro and HES in modeling.  The disconnect is that none of these directly address comfort issues.  Its inferred by high utility costs. 

We lack stakeholders to create consumer awareness and demand.

Comfort is a great point to mention. In my experience, most homeowners are either concerned and motivated to do something if it's about their comfort or energy costs. Environmental comes after; if at all. It's why we do what we do as local government, but not what always motivates the consumer but that's ok. It's really about tailoring these efforts to meet theirs needs and ours which I think is happening.

An energy audit addresses the building through a science lens but ultimately if they add insulation and air sealing, for instance, it addresses comfort as well as their utility costs. I'd say it's more a matter of how it's presented, and realizing that not all comfort solutions are energy efficiency measures. 

RSS

Forum Discussions

Origin of guarded blower door testing

Started by Kim Tanner in General Forum. Last reply by Eric Kjelshus on Thursday. 9 Replies

Electro Magnetic Fields (EMF)

Started by Barry L NewDelman in General Forum. Last reply by Daniel Cullen Aug 10. 5 Replies

When is it too windy to use blower door?

Started by Brandon Walton in General Forum. Last reply by Iain Walker Aug 10. 17 Replies

Latest Activity

Profile IconArmstrong SMith, Eric Buchalter, Liza Gonzalez and 3 more joined Home Energy Pros
yesterday
Eric Kjelshus replied to Kim Tanner's discussion Origin of guarded blower door testing
"That same house that meet highest sealing rate in early 1980 we went back and super sealed it and…"
Thursday
Jill Cliburn posted an event
Thumbnail

National Solar Conference and NZE Decathlon at University of Colorado

October 9, 2017 at 6pm to October 12, 2017 at 7pm
Thursday
tedkidd replied to Kim Tanner's discussion Origin of guarded blower door testing
"Brendan, Eric, great stuff!"
Thursday

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

© 2017   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service