Hi all,

I am looking for strategies others have seen or used to disguise the interior units of ductless heat pumps or AC units from being the ugly bump homeowners so frequently mention when they look at example pictures/renderings. Anything from decorative covers to integrating it into the wall assembly to integrated interior design strategies would be great (so long as it doesn't significantly inhibit performance or air flow). I think the aesthetics are a huge obstacle to the deployment of these units in the correct climates (I'm in the south) and a few creative minds might go a long way toward overcoming these problems. Looking forward to anyone's pictures and ideas.

Views: 992

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have seen them hidden in soffits, using ducted mini-splits, part of cabinetry, etc...

As for ugly - check with the manufacturer, some have ones designed as artwork (a little past halfway down: http://blog.sls-construction.com/2012/acecets-grand-opening-ribbon-...) & then others can just blend depending on your designer & system chosen (also halfway down http://blog.sls-construction.com/2012/ibs-2012-day-2-green-right-wrong)  

Some are going to ducted systems. Ductwork is VERY short with ultra low static pressures.

There are a number of options - one manufacturer 9LG ductless) makes a square wall unit that can have a picture/art in the front.    There are also heads that can be installed in a ceiling ( if you have enough space) so all you see is something like a register.  These would be placed in the center of the room.  You can also use ducted heads that can be hidden or placed in a ceiling or floor space but there are strict limits to how much duct can be used.

If you are looking at heat pumps http://www.mitsubishicomfort.com/ has the best performing units I have seen.  Look at the web site and you will see different options for your question.

Agree with Steven, if you want aesthetics, look at LG

How about slim ducts that recess in the wall and/or ceilings . I believe Fujitsu and Daikin both make such a unit

I use the ducted mini-split and very thin supply trunk and thin supply to make turn in to the wall.     We use "color"  AIA gal who will turn the grill look into wall detail.   trim line or door line or what detail will make the grills just fall in to the shadow.

Last house 1200SF shot gun with one ton AC  and the person who did the home morgage said no heat/or AC or grills in building,  and would not do a morgage with out heat so I had to show him the stat and inside air handler behind a door.  The cost to make the grill disapperar is in the trim and paint and where the eye goes.  The air flow should be so low that's not going make a lot of noise most of the time.    If the building is very well seal and High R  will not take much heat there for small duct  is needed.   Just run the numbers ACCA MD use .03  duct size vs most new work is .1 sp new work then ends up at .25 with long duct, Total SP ends up with above 1" water  and units are rated for .3 to .5  www.ericsenergy.com  I have some on my web sight

In our previous offices we had these units. Prior to the install (and following the techs. directions) we cut open each wall that would contain pipes or wiring. Do not damage the drywall (reuse it). We had the electrical connections hard wired for two reasons - esthetics and removing the risk of over loading any of the circuits. Before buttoning up the walls we air sealed (being the good WAP agency we are). Everything was insulated beyond the current standards of that time. You do not want any hidden condensation issues in a wall. Lastly, the drywall went back up - using screws! Rather than "muding" the seams wood trim was used over them. This was fastened with brads as it is only decorative and allows for easy removal if necessary.

Our LiHeap program installers open up the wall. Instead of recessing everything into the wall they build a chase over the opening, air seal and insulate. The end product looks similar to a chimney installation.

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Kaushal Bharath Raju replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Thanks Chie! We have this event in our calender."
8 hours ago
Kaushal Bharath Raju replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Hi Alice; I tried sending you an e-mail but the message bounced. Can you kindly verify your e-mail…"
8 hours ago
Chie Kawahara replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Hi Kaushal, Thousand Home Challenge is a wonderful forum and the resource collection is…"
9 hours ago
Alice La Pierre replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Hello Kaushal, While it's true I did some of the finish work myself, I also acted as my own…"
11 hours ago
"Thank you Linda for your response; and your generosity in sharing your suggestion and hope. I…"
11 hours ago
"Wow...thank you so much for your response Alice! I really appreciate it. It is simply amazing all…"
11 hours ago
Tom White's 3 videos were featured
12 hours ago
Jim Gunshinan's blog post was featured
12 hours ago
Sharon Block's 3 events were featured
12 hours ago
Tom White posted videos
12 hours ago
Linda Wigington replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Kaushal I just spent more than an hour on a detailed response and lost when I decided to check the…"
12 hours ago
Sharon Block posted events
13 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service