Did you know that changes have been made to BPI's BA certification upgrade criteria?

In response to industry feedback regarding our Building Analyst (BA) certification upgrade announcement of last November, BPI is adapting criteria requirements, allowing BA professionals more time and flexibility to upgrade their certification.

Read more about the changes here: http://www.bpi.org/news_expansion.aspx?selectedID=1648

Tags: BA, BPI, Criteria

Views: 892

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

where can you find anything on the software modeling of energy upgrades? on a webinar 1/17/14  BPI Standards and Certificates there didn't seem to be any programs specified. I asked a question if ORNL's NEAT and MHEA are inline with the modeling they are referring to with no response at this time. any idea of where I could find such program

BPI doesn't recommend or require any particular modeling software. I don't think they even say what the software must be able to do. RESNET for comparison, doesn't specify particular software, but they do say what the software must be able to do. NEAT, MHEA, and many, many others are available and likely qualify as "modeling software" for BPI. How about a simple tool like the Energy Yardstick for modeling? Does that qualify?

The 2nd part of this discussion is the Work Scope. I think the priority lists produced by NEAT and MHEA would get you started toward that. What if I use Energy Yardstick for modeling? Can I also use ENERGY STAR Home Advisor for the work scope?

So without clear guidance from BPI, I think use whatever works for your program, assuming you actually need to use modeling software.

We are curriculum developers. Our customers are concerned with the updated BA exam and the CEU requirements. What do they need to know to pass the test? What training qualifies for the 6 CEU's? We are struggling with how to design training for these new items, while remaining software agnostic. Here are the modeling software knowledge items from the updated BA knowledge list.

• Knowledge of modeling software
  • Knowledge of the purpose for modeling
  • Ability to accurately input data
  • Ability to analyze completed model
  • Ability to recognize potential data errors on completed model
  • Proper use of modeling to determine heating and cooling equipment sizing and appropriate energy
  • Knowledge of utility history analysis in conservation strategies
  • Knowledge of the need for modeling various options for heating, cooling, and DHW applications, as well as other efficiency upgrades

The "Knowledge of" items simply indicate an awareness level of understanding. "Ability to" and "Proper use" are difficult. How can I train someone to properly use something, without identifying the thing they must have the ability to use, or even knowing what that thing must be able to do? What information does the "completed model" need to show? Without knowing that, how can I teach someone to recognize potential errors in the completed model? Does determine heating and cooling equipment sizing indicate the need for Manuals J and S?

We have many questions and few answers. I appreciate BPI wanting to "raise the bar" and bring new skills to their certifications. But they need to do a better job of communicating their requirements. We, their customers, need to let them know they are causing confusion in the marketplace.

Excellent post, Darrel.  We have been in the same position waiting for the revised KTL to come out so that we can better understand what changes we need to make to our BA training curriculum.  Now that we have the revised KTL, it raises yet more questions.  I am really curious to see how candidates could be tested for software modeling abilities.  The very word "abilities" implies that it would be tested in the field exam.  But my test proctors have not reported any discussion of software testing on their proctor calls lately and there are no indications that I am aware of that the field exam will change in this regard.  With no approved software, my guess is that the new written exam will include some general knowledge questions about software modeling, but they will not be able to test the abilities listed in the KTL anytime soon.

As for the question on the mind of every BA who is up for renewal, BPI does not have a list of courses or events that qualify for the 6 CEUs on work scope/software modeling.  But I did speak with someone at BPI about that question, and the answer is basically, if you've attended an event that was approved for BPI CEUs and involved work scope/software modeling, you can send it in and request approval.  There have been a number of BPI CEU approved classes and sessions in the past that involved specific software training- everything from TREAT to REM/Rate to Manual J.  The impression I got is that while these are product specific, that doesn't mean they wouldn't be allowed for meeting the 6 CEUs on work scope/software modeling. 

Of course, the big deal with software modeling CEUs involves candidates that want to renew their BA Certification using the Fast Track path.  Renewal candidates can only avoid a re-take of the written exam if they have documented 30 CEUs, 6 of which must come from Work Scope and software modeling classes (OR the candidate can provide a letter from an employer on Work Scope and software modeling experience).  In summary, no list exists of approved work scope and software modeling CEUs and it doesn't sound like BPI intends to post one.

We offer a course called Energy Retrofit Modeling and Work Scope Development to meet BPI's requirements of 6 CEUs in this topic toward the 30 CEUs for recertification and avoidance of exams.  BPI back pedaled and now allows 6 CEUs OR experience and a letter stating so as part of the recertification process.  Our course is 8 CEUs which is more than you need and sure helps get people closer to the 30 for recertification ease.  The February 21st course is full but we're offering a repeat on April 10th.  Watch for our newsletter or sign up for our newsletter at www.PureEnergyCoach.com.

On behalf of BPI I would like to apologize for the confusion. The answers above are all excellent. BPI does accept training from software modeling developers; all of the software referenced in this discussion would  qualify. In addition, as Darrel and Tamasin mention, Saturn Resource Management, PureEnergyCoach, SouthFace and other BPI Test Centers are developing curricula to meet this new requirement.

To clarify the requirement, the 6 CEUs in software modeling and workscope development are a one time requirement for BA professionals that wish to renew their certification by earning 30 CEUs to waive the written exam. This requirement began on February 1, 2014, and applies to those who need to renew their certification after that date. You need to earn 6 CEUs on this subject only one time. I.e., 3 years later, when you go to renew again, you do not need 6 of your 30 CEUs from software modeling and workscope development.

BPI is gathering information as it comes in on which of our test centers offer training and CEUs on software modeling and/or workscope development. To find these opportunities, please go to http://www.bpi.org/files/pdf/Public%20Postings%202.6.14.pdf. Check in regularly as we update this CEU sheet as we get new information.

BPI works hard to accommodate the needs of our certified professional network. Please remember - if the deadline to renew your certification is approaching, or has already passed, all eligible Building Analysts whose certifications expired on or after November 13th, 2013 will have until April 13, 2014 to apply for BA certification renewal - BA only. We have extended the deadline to allow people whose BA expires during this period extra time to earn 6 CEUs in software modeling and/or workscope development. Further, if you have experience in these areas, you may meet this requirement by verifying your work experience. Please see our press release for more information - http://www.bpi.org/news_expansion.aspx?selectedID=1648

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Steven Lewis replied to Christopher Talarico's discussion Heating with Tankless Water Heater & Hydronic Air Handler vs. Gas Furnace
"It looks better on paper than in real life applications.  Both Amana and Lennox came out with…"
16 hours ago
Dennis Heidner replied to Christopher Talarico's discussion Heating with Tankless Water Heater & Hydronic Air Handler vs. Gas Furnace
"Rinnai has application note on how to use their tankless hot water heater with a Rinnai water to…"
yesterday
Hal Skinner replied to Hal Skinner's discussion How much heat energy is lost through the floor of a house?
"I found the buildingscience article interesting.  Interesting that they noted the wet bottom…"
yesterday
Bud Poll replied to Hal Skinner's discussion How much heat energy is lost through the floor of a house?
"With conduction that ends at the bottom of the joists and convection that is naturally suppressed…"
yesterday
Hal Skinner replied to Hal Skinner's discussion How much heat energy is lost through the floor of a house?
"Good morning Bud, Took a quick look at the site and a couple others listed on the Yahoo…"
yesterday
Bud Poll replied to Hal Skinner's discussion How much heat energy is lost through the floor of a house?
"Hi Hal, Search "Basecalc basement heat loss".  From memory Canada (nrcan) has/had a…"
yesterday
Michael Dunseith posted photos
Saturday
"II just remembered seeing a report by a federal adency, many years ago, that basically said …"
Saturday

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service