Hi There Folks,

I came across this crawlspace vapor barrier installed by a BPI contractor. 

Environmental Factors:  The area receives a lot of rain, and is notorious for rising groundwater.  

Health Factors:  The customers have respiratory issues, and these were communicated to the contractor.

Material:  6mm visqueen, red tape, nails

Concerns:  The material stops several inches short of the foundation walls. Some seams are taped with red tape.  Held to ground with 8 inch nails. 

I have a lot of respect for this particular contractor, but I have grave questions about how he approaches barrier installation in crawl spaces.

He has responded that this approach is adequate for unconditioned crawlspaces.  

I would appreciate insights, and direction to standards. 

Tags: barrier, crawl, space, vapor

Views: 9038

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

I am not sure what the codes say in Cali but (unless I am overlooking it) there is no requirement in the 2009 IRC or IECC for "vented" crawls

For sealed crawls it is;

R408.3.1 Exposed earth is covered with a continuous Class I vapor retarder. Joints of the vapor retarder shall overlap by 6 inches (152 mm) and shall be sealed or taped. The edges of the vapor retarder shall extend at least 6 inches (152 mm) up the stem wall and shall be attached and sealed to the stem wall;

As for the groundwater issue:

R408.6 Finished grade. The finished grade of under-floor surface may be located at the bottom of the footings; however, where there is evidence that the groundwater table can rise to within 6 inches (152 mm) of the finished floor at the building perimeter or where there is evidence that the surface water does not readily drain from the building site, the grade in the under-floor space shall be as high as the outside finished grade, unless an approved drainage system is provided.

As for best practices, especially when a respiratory issue is involved - it is basically what everyone else mentioned - run up the foundation wall a minimum of 6", joints lapped lapped, and every hole, seam, etc... should be taped & sealed per manufacturers directions

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Hal Skinner replied to Kurt Shafer's discussion Where can I find the best radiant barrier to install under my roof?
"I just posted a statement and pictures of a home in Yuma AZ.  This is one I did 10 years…"
50 minutes ago
Hal Skinner added a discussion to the group The RCC Classroom (Radiant Control Coatings)
1 hour ago
Tom Mallard replied to Kurt Shafer's discussion Where can I find the best radiant barrier to install under my roof?
"Anything done to raise the roofing off the sheathing works to reduce the high temperatures in the…"
3 hours ago
Michael Dunseith posted a photo

http://www.prattcenter.net/energy-champions-launch-party

Senator Kevin Parker poses with Pratt Center's Green Jobs Green New York Project Coordinator Elana…
9 hours ago
Michael Dunseith posted a status
9 hours ago
Rob Madden, Solar Home Broker posted a blog post

Phoenix 3rd Quarter Solar Resale Statistics Continue to Impress

Phoenix solar home sales were up during the third quarter of 2014, including the resale of homes…See More
yesterday
Everblue posted a status
"Green job alert! Energy Auditor in Baltimore, MD with Advanced Green Home Solutions. Check it out: http://bit.ly/1xhQuXO"
yesterday
Chris Clay replied to Isaiah Borel's discussion Blown Cellulose VS Blown Fiberglass in the Attic
"The Cold Climate Housing Research Center in Fairbanks, AK has alot of information about this…"
yesterday

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service