Hi There Folks,

I came across this crawlspace vapor barrier installed by a BPI contractor. 

Environmental Factors:  The area receives a lot of rain, and is notorious for rising groundwater.  

Health Factors:  The customers have respiratory issues, and these were communicated to the contractor.

Material:  6mm visqueen, red tape, nails

Concerns:  The material stops several inches short of the foundation walls. Some seams are taped with red tape.  Held to ground with 8 inch nails. 

I have a lot of respect for this particular contractor, but I have grave questions about how he approaches barrier installation in crawl spaces.

He has responded that this approach is adequate for unconditioned crawlspaces.  

I would appreciate insights, and direction to standards. 

Tags: barrier, crawl, space, vapor

Views: 8587

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

I am not sure what the codes say in Cali but (unless I am overlooking it) there is no requirement in the 2009 IRC or IECC for "vented" crawls

For sealed crawls it is;

R408.3.1 Exposed earth is covered with a continuous Class I vapor retarder. Joints of the vapor retarder shall overlap by 6 inches (152 mm) and shall be sealed or taped. The edges of the vapor retarder shall extend at least 6 inches (152 mm) up the stem wall and shall be attached and sealed to the stem wall;

As for the groundwater issue:

R408.6 Finished grade. The finished grade of under-floor surface may be located at the bottom of the footings; however, where there is evidence that the groundwater table can rise to within 6 inches (152 mm) of the finished floor at the building perimeter or where there is evidence that the surface water does not readily drain from the building site, the grade in the under-floor space shall be as high as the outside finished grade, unless an approved drainage system is provided.

As for best practices, especially when a respiratory issue is involved - it is basically what everyone else mentioned - run up the foundation wall a minimum of 6", joints lapped lapped, and every hole, seam, etc... should be taped & sealed per manufacturers directions

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Tom Delconte commented on Kurt Shafer's blog post What is your opinion about members promoting products here?
"Shameless self promotion here sucks like a leaky duck!"
1 hour ago
Profile IconJohn A Deuth, Lisa M. Harr and Ramon Aguirre joined Home Energy Pros
1 hour ago
Don Fitchett posted a blog post

Small Businesses: Diversify with Infrared Thermography Services, Save Your Business, Save the Country...

HERS should all offer Infrared Thermography Services.It is all ways great advice for small…See More
12 hours ago
Richard Beyer replied to Mike Kandel's discussion Our Homes Suck – And That's Why Our Kids Have Sinus Problems
""There are thousands of potential harmful products that can contribute to existing homes poor…"
13 hours ago
Richard Beyer replied to Mike Kandel's discussion Our Homes Suck – And That's Why Our Kids Have Sinus Problems
"Barbara, We both know a fan switch will only conserve on energy. What is Berkeley devising to clean…"
13 hours ago
"Ted no one can help anyone with their head stuck in the sand. All you said is MONEY is your God.…"
13 hours ago
Richard Beyer replied to Richard Beyer's discussion Spontaneous Combustion and Flash Fire regarding Spray Foam Insulation
"Hal, Thank you for laying out those facts. Fire safety is just as important of an issue as energy…"
14 hours ago
Don Fitchett commented on Diane Chojnowski's group Facebook Pages
"I just went through the 1st 2 pages of member's facebook pages liking them. While our training…"
15 hours ago
Don Fitchett joined Diane Chojnowski's group
Thumbnail

Facebook Pages

Does your company or organization have a Facebook Page?This group is for pros who have facebook…See More
15 hours ago
Mike Kandel added 3 discussions to the group Building Performance Institute (BPI)
16 hours ago
Mike Kandel posted discussions
16 hours ago
EnergyLogic Academy updated an event

RESNET Phase 2 Rater Training - Field Training at EnergyLogic Academy - Berthoud CO

September 22, 2014 to September 24, 2014
The EnergyLogic Academy will be hosting the second phase of HERS Rater Training August 4th - 7th,…See More
16 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service