Convert BTU/hr in a Manual J to actual fuel usages

I cannot find any conversion table that translates the BTU/hr heat loss in a Manual J report to the amount of fuel required to heat the building to the design temperature.  In this case I'm using propane and I have calculated the 92,000 BTU/gal using the actual BTU/Hr X Degree Days and end up requiring over 30K gallons of propane for a heating system.  This cannot be correct.  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Views: 354

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Morgan,
From the perspective of the energy auditor, I don’t agree with that statement.
“Actual fuel and electrical usage" is anecdotal at best”
Unless you change something, the best predictor of future energy usage is past energy usage. Now if you are going to use fuel and electrical usage, you have to have a minimum of one years data, you need to know the heating degree days and cooling degree days over that exact period, (Or binned temp data) And you need to measure the combustion efficiency of the heat source.
I will try to dig up a paper I have on the subject- the punch line was that identically built and situated houses had a 2 fold difference in energy usage based on occupant behavior. Both have identical manual J heat loss, but use very different amounts of energy. If you are trying to make rational choices based on payback, you have to know the actual usage- which is related to occupant behavior.
An example- If you are going to recommend a solar pool heater to save money- you better make sure they are actually using their existing electric resistance pool heater. Likewise recommending a high efficiency AC replacement makes no sense if the homeowner hates AC. A customer who keeps his house at 80°F all winter, uses a lot more energy than someone who keeps the thermostat at 55. Some efficiency measures that have a reasonable payback in one situation will not in the other.
The customer generally does not care about manual J- design temps, etc. They want to know what it is going to cost to heat and cool their house, and what is the best way to do it. Manual J is one tool in the box to help do this.
Cheers,
Eric

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Richard L. Sanderson replied to Bud Poll's discussion Inconsistant Local Authority
"Bud: I like the idea of a third party review board. My own experience in local government is that…"
3 hours ago
Matthew Lutz commented on Kaplan Clean Tech's blog post The Difference Between Home Inspection and Energy Auditing [Infographic]
"I would have to agree with Steve on this.  I am a Certified Energy Manager and have performed…"
9 hours ago
Matthew Lutz joined Diane Chojnowski's group
Thumbnail

Hall of Shame

In this group, members share an array of images from the field, showing the kinds of issues…See More
9 hours ago
Matthew Lutz replied to Kari Sauder's discussion Easy Water Heater Venting in the group Hall of Shame
"I have been in the HVAC trade since 1986. I have recently completed a Home or Real Estate…"
9 hours ago
Susan E. Buchan posted an event

EEBA Houses That Work at Hilton Asheville Biltmore Park

November 3, 2014 from 8am to 4:30pm
Registration: 8:00 amSession: 8:30 am to 4:30 pmWorkshop Covers:Introduction to EEBA and its…See More
13 hours ago
Susan E. Buchan posted a status
"EEBA has scholarships to our Houses That Work Sessionsfor Vets! Contact info@eeba.org for more info"
13 hours ago
EnergyLogic Academy posted events
14 hours ago
Andrew Peel posted an event

Using PHPP in Building Design and Certification at Queen's Quay

November 24, 2014 at 9am to November 25, 2014 at 5pm
In this two-day course, participants will learn how to use the PHPP for residential building design…See More
15 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service