NAHB_Code_Action_Plan.pdf

Does anyone else have any concerns over this?

Views: 176

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Over what exactly - the code process is involved of many groups who all have an interest. NAHB makes some valid arguments on some things, but others they love scaring people & running the numbers up. 42000 per house - nope not even close

Of course once the process is over, doesn't mean that it is over (for more on this & some of the above); http://blog.sls-construction.com/2013/nahb-recommended-2012-code-am...

Sean , Thank you for that link. That is going to be vey helpful. I personally like the idea that my work provides more value than just energy related savings. This proves it. You know almost every work day I get the chance to refine my definition of Air Changes per Hour to someone. Until now I always thought uncontrolled air movement to be descriptive of salesmen and beer drinkers.

If anyone believes that increased insulation values by code are " a special interest groups "pushed agenda....well have another beer....     

The NAHB numbers really looked "cooked",  they will do a good job on their reputation if they are not extremely careful. The IEC 2012  is less restrictive than some state standards and it is certainly less restrictive than a Passive House  designed house.  Yet the Passive House folks are now able to show that the tighter standards add less than 5% to the total cost, while significantly reducing the annual energy use  and increasing the home value. The lower energy costs easily offset the slightly higher build costs.

Some of the NAHB items shown on their action plan are outcomes from NFPA  (fire / insurance) industries concerns.  Certainly if there is a problem with foam on the outside of the buildings in some fire prone regions - a larger setback might be wise -- but really it would probably make better sense to change the materials in that case and go away from foam on the outside of the building to the use of a rock wool insulation.

In the end the product will be bought by an individual wanting to live in a quality home.  If they water down the IEC2012 for the NAHB - I suspect NAHB members may also be seeing more lawsuits about false claims for the efficiency of "these" new NAHB "standard" houses.   People do travel around the world.  They do read newspapers, magazines, books and journals, and they would understand that houses built as the NAHB proposes MAY NOT be the most cost effective homes.   A builder that tries to use the NAHB views to promote their homes as the most efficient and cost effective homes would certainly be at a greater risk of suits if the home owners are then unhappy with the performance.....

Problem with their argument is that it's just not true. They tried that nonsense in Illinois and Maryland so far, and nobody bought it.  IL is now on the 2012, with automatic adoption of each new IECC within a year of publication.  Don't fret, but definitely be at the meetings where this stuff is discussed, so you can call bullshit.

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Kaushal Bharath Raju replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Thanks Chie! We have this event in our calender."
8 hours ago
Kaushal Bharath Raju replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Hi Alice; I tried sending you an e-mail but the message bounced. Can you kindly verify your e-mail…"
8 hours ago
Chie Kawahara replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Hi Kaushal, Thousand Home Challenge is a wonderful forum and the resource collection is…"
8 hours ago
Alice La Pierre replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Hello Kaushal, While it's true I did some of the finish work myself, I also acted as my own…"
11 hours ago
"Thank you Linda for your response; and your generosity in sharing your suggestion and hope. I…"
11 hours ago
"Wow...thank you so much for your response Alice! I really appreciate it. It is simply amazing all…"
11 hours ago
Tom White's 3 videos were featured
11 hours ago
Jim Gunshinan's blog post was featured
11 hours ago
Sharon Block's 3 events were featured
11 hours ago
Tom White posted videos
12 hours ago
Linda Wigington replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Kaushal I just spent more than an hour on a detailed response and lost when I decided to check the…"
12 hours ago
Sharon Block posted events
12 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service