I've been asked to perform blower door testing on a house that is to be built.The architects builders estimate specifications state " Perform a blower door test on the house after the wall sheathing, rigid foam wall sheathing, roof sheathing, and windows are installed and sealed, prior to installing interior and wall insulation. Maximum 1.00 air changes per hour at 50 pascals. Perform another blower door test after insulation is installed." I foresee at least one big problem in that there will be air coming through the soffit and ridge vents without the ceiling being sheetrocked and I'm not sure if a maximum of 1.00 ach is possible to achieve. I'm hoping some one could direct me to a source of information on how to conduct this type of testing.

Views: 314

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Definitely a problem. If the house has a flat ceiling, then the best thing is for the drywallers to hang and tape the ceiling out of sequence, so that you're testing the ceiling, the wall sheathing w/ windows and doors, and the floor. That's what I did in my house, and it made for easy air-sealing. My drywaller is an understanding kind of guy.

If they won't hang the ceiling first, then you can theoretically seal the soffit and ridge vents (with what, you ask, to which I reply, I dunno) but then you are testing those seals as well as the roof deck. 

If there are cathedral ceiling areas, those most likely have to be insulated and rocked before your first test, or else the insulator has to install some bombproof baffles in every rafter bay.

All things are possible though that will be a very tough number to hit as David mentioned. Beyond that give them your rate per test & additional hourly for directed air sealing

Doing this test is the same as a regular one with the only difference being, you need to make sure the dryer vent & all other vents are taped off. I agree on the drywall approach assuming they are not going with a hot-roof style system

If that isn't possible - as for soffit & ridge - that depends on if they have finished the outside finishes or not. The ridge is easy as the tar paper or I&W can simply cover the gap & they can cut it out when they go to install the finishes. As for the soffit, it depends on the size & how they did it - you can use tape, staple up plastic, etc...

Thanks for the input. I've been searching the internet for the last few days and I found a local company's website called G*O Logic. They have been building homes using the Passivhaus as a reference. One video showed a blower door test done at the same point that the architect wanted me to conduct the test. What they had done was sheath the bottom side of the rafters with zip wall after insulating it. They then sealed the zip wall to the side wall vapor barrier and then conducted the blower door test. Its clear to me now that the architect I'm dealing with has no experience with this and I need to take a Passivhaus course if I'm going to be dealing with high efficiency homes in the future. By the way, they claimed to have achieved .4 ACH50. I didn't think this would be possible.

Well, it has everything to do with how much time and money you're given to set up and perform the test. If they want the ceiling completely masked off, or the roof venting sealed completely on a temporary basis... go for it... and bill them for it. Tell them you need the entire place to yourself, get a helper, go in there, set up everything you need, and then work like crazy to find every leak and seal it. It mostly takes time and persistence, and you can get down to the level they want.

I do it routinely for sprayfoam projects

1ACH50 ain't your problem...you are just a scorekeeper. If the subs whose trades involve air sealing haven't built to that level of tightness, they are in for a painful process.

Obviously you can't test a building with a vented attic whose ceiling is not in place...again, not your problem.

Establish a test charge, but also an hourly rate for standing by while other trades get ready or fix their screwups.

You may want to plan for temporarily blocking "normal" openings such as flues, vent fan caps, range hood, dryer exhaust. Don't forget plumbing stacks if traps lack water. Other than that, let it be someone else's war.

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Richard Beyer replied to Howard Katzman's discussion UV lights on filters
"Howard, There are numerous manufacturer's who swear these systems work and then you have the…"
6 hours ago
Christopher Morin posted a blog post

How do You Test a TXV?

Thermostatic Expansion Valves (TEV or TXV), one of the most popular metering devices for…See More
10 hours ago
Howard Katzman posted a discussion

UV lights on filters

recently saw UV bulb installations in 2 HVAC systems in a home. Each system had the Lennox Healthy…See More
12 hours ago
Don Fitchett joined Michael Stuart's group
Thumbnail

INFRARED THERMOGRAPHY USERS

This group is dedicated to knowledge sharing and discussion of infrared thermography for building…See More
12 hours ago
Don Fitchett commented on Diane Chojnowski's group Pinterest
"While most of our (BIN95.com) energy post and boards are industrial related, there are crossovers…"
12 hours ago
Don Fitchett joined Diane Chojnowski's group
Thumbnail

Pinterest

Do you have a Pinterest board for energy topics?Post the link to your Pinterest energy board in the…See More
13 hours ago
Profile IconJosh Guenther, Deborah Green, Kenneth Brooks and 3 more joined Home Energy Pros
13 hours ago
Jim Gunshinan commented on Jim Gunshinan's blog post My Energy Upgrade California—The Numbers Are In
"Hi David, to answer one question, the crawlspace was covered with thick poly and the seams were…"
14 hours ago
David Eakin commented on Jim Gunshinan's blog post My Energy Upgrade California—The Numbers Are In
"Jim, Maybe a little more detail on the project is in order. You say that your crawlspace is now…"
14 hours ago
Jim Gunshinan commented on Jim Gunshinan's blog post My Energy Upgrade California—The Numbers Are In
"Ed, no problem, I caught your meaning. Ted, I made a judgement that a mini split would be the best…"
14 hours ago
tedkidd commented on Jim Gunshinan's blog post My Energy Upgrade California—The Numbers Are In
"That makes sense.   What are your criteria/metrics for determining what might be the…"
14 hours ago
Ed Voytovich commented on Jim Gunshinan's blog post My Energy Upgrade California—The Numbers Are In
"Yikes!  Not only did I misspell "roof" as "rood," I also meant to more…"
14 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service