Have anyone performed a blower door test on a new home that has a multi bi-fold door installed on an exterior wall? (As in NanaWall, Lanai or Sierra Pacific bi-folds). Is there any performance difference if the doors are configured in-swing or out-swing? I'm concerned with air leakage for a tight envelope. Thanks.

NanaWall Bi-fold

Lanai Bi-fold

Sierra Pacific Bi-fold

Views: 1138

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I assume they're referring to an ASTM E283 test, although I could be completely wrong... and as far as I know, that test uses a number of different test pressures and conditions, it's not a simple -50pa blower door test. BUT... if that .20CFM/ft2 is anywhere near what you'd get at -50, you'd be looking at about 20CFM50 contributed by the door unit. Just a WAG. I've never read the standard.

Really, window and door manufacturers should start testing their units in a standard blower door format, and publishing the results. As builders start to have to comply with standards like 3ACH50, they're going to want to know how the windows are going to do.

You are so right David. It would be nice if their testing is done under the same realistic conditions as their products are tested in real world... that maybe too much to ask. I'll keep waiting on a rater's test one of these days.

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Alice La Pierre replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Hello Kaushal, While it's true I did some of the finish work myself, I also acted as my own…"
2 hours ago
Kaushal Bharath Raju replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Thank you Linda for your response; and your generosity in sharing your suggestion and hope. I…"
2 hours ago
Kaushal Bharath Raju replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Wow...thank you so much for your response Alice! I really appreciate it. It is simply amazing all…"
2 hours ago
Tom White's 3 videos were featured
2 hours ago
Jim Gunshinan's blog post was featured
2 hours ago
Sharon Block's 3 events were featured
2 hours ago
Tom White posted videos
3 hours ago
Linda Wigington replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Kaushal I just spent more than an hour on a detailed response and lost when I decided to check the…"
3 hours ago
Sharon Block posted events
3 hours ago
Alice La Pierre replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Hello Kaushal, I understand your predicament, as I also have a house in Berkeley that I wanted to…"
3 hours ago
"Thanks Graham for that. It was also my belief that the cost difference between remodeling and doing…"
5 hours ago
"Thanks Jim! I'll be sure to check that out."
5 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service