While perusing the new Clipper Magazine, I came across an ad pointing to this and expect that eventually, I may be asked about it. 

While I'm certain that since it was developed by NASA, it must be a quality product(or very comfortable to sleep on); being new to the industry, I'm curious as the site apparently does not provide what I consider to be legitimate information and specs for the product. They claim to be a foam product, but offer no R/U values, etc-just a shoddy picture of a piece of the product and promises of huge percentage of increased performance, yada yada....

The heavy sales pitch, quality level of the website(you gotta love how viewers need to scroll horizontally!), mis-spelling of simple words & apparent private labeling of the product give me more reason to give pause. Maybe I'm just a cynic!  

Does anyone now what this product is? Where else in the country it may have a different distributor? Experience on pricing and "professional" installations and sales presentations? 

Call me cynical, but...Just looking for details that I can present to clients.

Oh-and if you have other "Best things..." that you have come across, feel free to post them here.

Thanks.

Views: 252

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What the hell is that????????? Great web site***********I'm signing up

I am sure you are talking about Aerogel?  

It is amazing, but super expensive.  Check out the images here:  http://stardust.jpl.nasa.gov/tech/aerogel.html

It is basically see through.  Has 40x the R value of Fiberglass or Cellulose.  Way too expensive to use currently.  Someday it might be the insulator of the future...who knows.

Jason Kaylor - JJ

AC Tool Supply

480-528-4045

You sure it's Aerogel? It sounds to me more like Insul-Tarp...

Yeah think you are right. I saw NASA and missed the rest. :)

their web design hurts me deep inside

I think it was P.T Barnum that said "There's a sucker born born every minute..."  This is another one of those products with fantastic claims but no real testing for backup. 

I looked at the entire website and was surprised to note:

There is an Energy Star logo on the site but the only place I see where it might apply is that they install light bulbs.

There is no mention of training in energy efficiency or testing and no certifications in this industry.

There is no real documentation about the product, only claims of greatness. 

There is no mention of independent testing of the product.

They list as eligible for 2011 tax credit but provide no documents certifying the product qualifies.

They "guarantee" 57% savings on all utiliry and energy costs. Thjere is no way this product can achive this and when it does not, there is no deep pockets organization standing behind the "guarantee.

This joins other radiant barrier products, power factor correction devices and "install new windows and save 35% of your total heating bill" ads at the top of the list of over hyped products and down right false claims.

Stealing from your header - Maybe we should just install sliced bread as insulation in our attics instead.  It would do almost as much good, and we could provide the same guarantee as long as we got paid on the front end for the installation.

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Ethan Bukowiec replied to Ethan Bukowiec's discussion Thoughts on energy startup's new propane smart meter
"Anyone interested in learning more about this device should check out the Kickstarter…"
11 hours ago
Linda Wigington replied to Linda Wigington's discussion Low-cost electricity monitoring: Accuracy & Applications in the group 1000 Home Challenge
"Here is a response from Frank Bergamachi (Thousand Home Challenge project #4) I’ve looked…"
17 hours ago
Linda Wigington replied to Linda Wigington's discussion Low-cost electricity monitoring: Accuracy & Applications in the group 1000 Home Challenge
"Here is a response from Larry Kinney A few years ago someone had a gee whiz calibrated watt and…"
17 hours ago
Dale@EnergyWright replied to Linda Wigington's discussion Low-cost electricity monitoring: Accuracy & Applications in the group 1000 Home Challenge
"I've used the efergy Elite whole house energy monitor to evaluate 240V HPWHs. I found the…"
18 hours ago
Profile IconDale@EnergyWright and Maria Lacey joined David Eggleton's group
Thumbnail

1000 Home Challenge

Linda Wigington distinguished between deep retrofits & deep energy reductions, thus expanding…See More
19 hours ago
Profile IconAdam Swain, Cynthia Sandherr, James Skeldon and 2 more joined Home Energy Pros
19 hours ago
Tom White posted videos
yesterday
Maria Lacey replied to Linda Wigington's discussion Low-cost electricity monitoring: Accuracy & Applications in the group 1000 Home Challenge
"I attempted to use an AZTech device. I have used the Watt Stopper, Watts Up Pro, Kill-A-Watt…"
yesterday

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service