What are some of the best energy myths you have ever heard? I think this could be good for a couple of laughs. I will start:
  • Incandescent light bulbs give off more heat than light and because of this they help heat my house in the winter. I don't want to switch to CFLs or LEDs because my heating bills will increase.
  • My system is running pretty cost effectively right now because 2 of my 3 HVAC units broke down, so I am only using 1 for the whole building. That's like cutting my costs by 2/3.
What are some good ones you have heard?

Tags: myths

Views: 1606

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

14 /100 watt bulbs a fan and you got yourself a room heater. Problem is you probably don't have that many lamps in 3 houses.LOL Not too safe either to plug in that many in one room.

Just makes me think of people sitting on light bulbs.  Mmmm, comfortable. 

Hi ted,

There's the humor side and then the reality.  Up here in north country the power companies can't disconnect homes for failure to pay during the cold months, logical.  But when the oil tank and the bank account are both empty, they turn on the electric heaters knowing they won't have to pay, until who knows when.  Then I look at the subsidized program for low income and run into all kinds of people getting free work done, just because they can, not because they don't have money.  Just wish there was a better way to help those who need it and leave the others on their own.

And our electric is around $ 0.16 a kw.

Bud

thats a lot of lamps!!
That is a lot of lamps. The best part of the incandescent bulb myth is how one sided it is. They do supply heat, this is true, which means during winter months you may receive a little extra warmth... but what about summer? Wouldn't that extra heat create larger bills? Ah ha

As for, "I'm not going to pay somebody to insulate my attic when I can roll out my own insulation for a lot less money." being a myth, I would say it completely depends on the person. If someone on this website said that to me I would completely believe they could install their own insulation just fine.

After applying a radiant barrier coating to rooftop A/c units and ducts and have the owner feel them before and after;  "Yeah I can feel the difference in the metal but now I'm losing all my cold!"

500 square per ton!

Ok, not exactly an 'energy' myth, but...
Another one: by not not typing all the words in a sentence, you save energy.

Square FEET...

Chris Laumer-Giddens said:
500 square per ton! Ok, not exactly an 'energy' myth, but...
From more than one contractor: "Turning down the temperature at night doesn't save any energy."
The German Entrepreneur who, after Germany “outlawed” Incandescent bulbs of more than 75W, began selling his 100W bulbs as “Heat Balls!”

See, Americans are NOT the only "creative capitalists"

Mark Richardson said:
The German Entrepreneur who, after Germany “outlawed” Incandescent bulbs of more than 75W, began selling his 100W bulbs as “Heat Balls!”

See, Americans are NOT the only "creative capitalists"

I heard about that guy actually. Pretty creative, and funny at the same time. That reminds me of another fun myth I heard from my mother growing up all the time:

In the Summer she would say...
"Turn off the lights, they cause extra heat, if you need to see open a window."
Technically true, I think the sun pouring in the window supplied far more heat than a single incandescent bulb possibly could. In the winter definitely open the windows instead of the lights and accept that extra heat with open arms.
Silas - Great thread. You've hit a rich vein here.

Here are some items we assembled years back. We'll have to go back and update that with all the good stuff members have logged here....

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Craig Bird replied to Hal Skinner's discussion What this RCC will do on an exterior wall compared to standard paint. in the group The RCC Classroom (Radiant Control Coatings)
"I agree and studies done will agree with you in those cases too - it makes sense when there is…"
1 hour ago
Hal Skinner replied to Hal Skinner's discussion What this RCC will do on an exterior wall compared to standard paint. in the group The RCC Classroom (Radiant Control Coatings)
"You might want to check out this discussion in my…"
5 hours ago
Craig Bird replied to Hal Skinner's discussion What this RCC will do on an exterior wall compared to standard paint. in the group The RCC Classroom (Radiant Control Coatings)
"In this scenario the walls were made of R35 rigid foam. Even if ex-employee of big energy company…"
6 hours ago
Profile IconMary Patterson and Lisa Meaders joined Home Energy Pros
7 hours ago
Sean Lintow Sr replied to Kevin Jordan's discussion air infiltration total
"Sorry I don't have anything handy but pull a search for EqLA equivalent leakage…"
yesterday
Erik Henson commented on Andrew Navolio's blog post MEEA assists with Home Energy Certification programs
"It seems to me like we are trying to re-invent the wheel.  There are several available…"
Saturday
Egr renovations posted a status
Saturday
"Actually emissivity rating doesn't make much of a difference between coatings because almost…"
Saturday

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service