What are some of the best energy myths you have ever heard? I think this could be good for a couple of laughs. I will start:
  • Incandescent light bulbs give off more heat than light and because of this they help heat my house in the winter. I don't want to switch to CFLs or LEDs because my heating bills will increase.
  • My system is running pretty cost effectively right now because 2 of my 3 HVAC units broke down, so I am only using 1 for the whole building. That's like cutting my costs by 2/3.
What are some good ones you have heard?

Tags: myths

Views: 1606

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I also agree because of its ability to float in the air much more easily than other Insulations of today. Because it is a fiber or rod shaped it is hard for the microphage to absorb around it. This is very similar to the problem with asbestos.

Enjoy reading if you want more info.

http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/a?dbs+hsdb:@term+@DOCN...

The most common one we hear is HVAC contractors telling customers to turn their heat pumps to "Aux" or "Electric Resistance" if the autside temperature is less than 25 F.  They tell them it is bad for the heat pump to run at low temperatures and the heat pump can't keep up at those temperatures. 

We respond by telling customers that while the heat pump will run longer, a properly installed heat pump system is designed to run at cold temperatures and the supplemental heat will come on automatically to provide any additional heat that the home needs.  We see a 40% increase in heating energy usage from homes that turn off their heat pump and run only on electric resistance. 

Thanks James!  It's really helpful to have others give examples where "stupid human thermostat tricks" hurt people.  Heat pumps are a great example.  Not much horsepower, but if you leave them on the highway they're really efficient. 

Why do these bad, dogmatic recommendations persist?  

People love the idea that controlling the thermostat gives them Godlike control over energy consumption.  Since almost nobody tracks, a good part is not knowing, just having faith it must be saving.  

Sounds pretty silly, eh?  "I must be saving lots" as a basis for financial and operational decision making?  Imagine showing up at the bank with your savings, your deposit ticket total reading "lots".  The teller would look at you like you are nuts, yet that's the answer I get when I ask people what they are saving.  Nobody knows.  

Besides not knowing, some is not caring.  And some is "I don't want these people complaining anymore, they want heat not efficiency.  And anyway, its NMEB, and their calls are eating into my profits." 

In any case, if it IS our job to help people improve efficiency and save energy, we must do the diagnostics FIRST.  

First rule of OUR fight club?  "Do no harm".  We must avoid blanket recommendations that are known to hurt people.  You want to make a recommendation, know that it fits the situation.  And make sure people are comfortable, because if you don't at some point it'll be "I want heat at any cost". 

Here are few of my favorites:

1. Tankless water heaters are instantaneous.

2. Tankless water heaters save energy.  (Although this is only a myth in about 1/2 of the cases to which people try to apply tankless water heaters.)

3. Radiant heat is old fashioned and less efficient than heating air.

4. Heating is the largest energy load for a household. [reality is that it depends upon climate and many other factors]

5. If you just tell people how they are using energy, they will become more conservative.  {actually true, IF you agree with the Supreme Court that money is speech - i.e., if you tell them by raising their bills]

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Hal Skinner replied to Hal Skinner's discussion An example of what an RCC can do with no R- insulation in the walls.
"Mornin Brett. 90 to 85, yes a slight variance there.  Same ASTM test, different scientists,…"
21 hours ago
Bret Curry replied to Hal Skinner's discussion An example of what an RCC can do with no R- insulation in the walls.
"Great information Hal. It appears the thermal emissivity in your test was .85 rather than .90. Are…"
22 hours ago
Juan Roca commented on Dale Stephens's blog post LED Lighting - Garage Door opener interference
"Hi,There is a real problem with remote controls and LED lights. However, there is a solution in the…"
yesterday
Profile IconJuan Roca and Elizabeth Coe joined Home Energy Pros
yesterday
Casey Gesell posted videos
yesterday
Gerald Shechter posted videos
yesterday
Hal Skinner replied to Hal Skinner's discussion An example of what an RCC can do with no R- insulation in the walls.
"Bret,  here are the 2 reports I referred…"
yesterday
Craig Foley shared George Kopf's discussion on Twitter
yesterday

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service