What are some of the best energy myths you have ever heard? I think this could be good for a couple of laughs. I will start:
  • Incandescent light bulbs give off more heat than light and because of this they help heat my house in the winter. I don't want to switch to CFLs or LEDs because my heating bills will increase.
  • My system is running pretty cost effectively right now because 2 of my 3 HVAC units broke down, so I am only using 1 for the whole building. That's like cutting my costs by 2/3.
What are some good ones you have heard?

Tags: myths

Views: 1567

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Evan Mills said:
Silas - Great thread. You've hit a rich vein here.

Here are some items we assembled years back. We'll have to go back and update that with all the good stuff members have logged here....

Great article, Evan!

Here's a related Blog post from a HEP member....

Inverter units multi-split. 2 or more can run off one outside unit. Check our site for some examples.

One of my favorites, visited with a client and her HVAC contractor had her convinced that the only way she could correct hot and cold rooms was to buy a larger heat pump

Leaving the heating on overnight uses less energy than re-heating a cold building.. ha..

My suggestion is not at all amusing:  "We need to sell home performance to provide comfort and energy savings for home owners" Instead of:

"We need to sell home performance because the earth is not so big that we humans can't screw the pooch on a vary, very global scale without even trying very hard . . . indeed, the only thing we have to do to have that effect is to convince ourselves that the most important things are money, convenience, and personal comfort.

"We need to sell home performance because the lack of it contributes to environmental changes in the atmosphere, the oceans, the seas, and even the dirt of the earth itself. 

"We need to sell home performance to do what we can to avoid climate change that could in the very near future lead to a global extinction event the likes of which we have not experienced in the last 64 million years. 

"We need to sell home performance to reduce to the extent we can the mountain top removal in West Virginia; the strip mining in Wyoming and elsewhere; the demolition of places like southern Illinois and Kentucky; fracking in the Marcellus and Barnett shales and elsewhere; mining of Canadian tar sands; oil drilling in the Gulf of Maxico, the North Sea, and -- most obscene of all -- the Arctic."

And that's just a partial list.

<End of Rant>

You may (or may not) appreciate the following ad that ran in the NY Times for 12/16/2012 and is cited on Climate Progress (http://tinyurl.com/d74gxl6).

Houses need to breathe so air sealing is un-helathy for homes.

My lights are CFLs so I can leave them on all over the house now.

What do you mean insulation doesn't stop air leaks!! 

Lowering the thermostat at night wastes energy because you have to reheat the air in the morning.

My AC contractor  always gives me more efficient systems, I can tell because once he does the cooling loss he increases the size by 1/2 to 1 ton.

This is a funny but very sad thread.  We need energy literacy in America starting in our schools!!!! As my wife always said, it can't hurt for EE after all we had a huge impact on seat belts when kids started getting after their parents.

Not sure if this qualifies or not ... I often tell this joke as the only energy joke I know.
A window company's accountant notices that one of their customers has not paid his bill in over a year. She calls the client and asks him about the invoice and when he might be able to pay. He pauses and then states that the window salesman said they would pay for themselves in about a year...

"Oh yeah, we had that attic insulated a few years ago, I'm sure it's not the problem"
"We had our furnace replaced a few years ago with a condensing model but were not comfortable anymore"
"The house was built 5-10-15 years ago, why would there be any problems with the wall insulation"

How about the "Short Circuit" myth, often stated, "leaving the gable vents in place when adding a ridge vent will cause the incoming air to follow the shortest path (gable to ridge) thus reducing the desired air flow from the soffits".  In actuality, the air entering the soffits is moving due to a pressure differential across the soffits (attic stack effect) which increases when the gable vents are left in place as the neutral pressure plane moves higher.  The decision to leave or remove the old gable vents should be based upon other factors, like wind, rain, snow, and proper location of the NPP, but not out of concern for a mythical short circuit path.

Bud

I don't recall seeing this one on the list and it is frequently misunderstood.

If you compress fiberglass insulation you will reduce its insulation value.  Well, yes and no.

You can compress fiberglass insulation and increase its r-value per inch, to a point.  It is the reduced number of inches (thickness) that results in the reduction in insulation value.  6" fiberglass insulation has a slightly better r-value per inch when compressed into a 5.5" cavity.  But the loss of 1/2" yields a net reduction in total r-value. 

Fill the cavity, even if it requires a little stuffing, it is the cavity depth/width that will determines the insulation value.  Just don't try to set a record for how much fg you can squeeze in.

Bud

Just don't use fiberglass!

To a point I do agree :).  Certainly the fg we use today is superior to what was installed 40 or 50 years ago, I don't remember before that.  I have removed some pretty nasty looking old stuff, but I wonder what cellulose will look like 50 years from now.  Will there be 2" voids at the top of all walls?  Will moisture, which I understand shouldn't be there, have deteriorated it to useless?  Even though we are building more efficient homes today, I just don't get the feeling we are building them to last 100 years, due to the cost factors and that is where fg gets its support.  It works to some level and it is low cost.

HH

Bud

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Jim Gunshinan commented on Jim Gunshinan's blog post Energy Upgrade California—Up Close and Personal
"I had a revelation while attending Bruce Manclark's session of duct leak testing at the Energy…"
10 hours ago
George J. Nesbitt commented on Jim Gunshinan's blog post Energy Upgrade California—Up Close and Personal
"Blower Door; the 2007 test was a depressurization test, and the 2014 a pressurization test, which…"
10 hours ago
George J. Nesbitt replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Plan, plan, plan, plan. The 1st step to is to understand the house, how it's built, the…"
10 hours ago
George J. Nesbitt posted an event

High Performance Windows - A Panel of Experts at Pyramid Alehouse`

April 26, 2014 from 3pm to 5pm
Join a lively panel discussion on high performance windows. We'll cover some basics, as well as…See More
12 hours ago
Kaushal Bharath Raju replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Hi David, Thanks for pointing out Martin Holiday's article. I do not wish to engage in the…"
12 hours ago
Profile IconAdam Penberthy, Scot Davidson and j jarvella joined Home Energy Pros
12 hours ago
David Eakin replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"More food for thought on this subject - read this (fairly) recent blog by one of the most respected…"
18 hours ago
Curt Kinder commented on Christopher Morin's blog post 5 Things New Energy Efficiency HVAC Contractors Need to Know
"You left out air distribution...Without at least a passing glance at how much air moves through the…"
23 hours ago
David Eakin replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"I mis-spoke - I was referring to the Midori House in Santa Cruz. Have an in-depth discussion with…"
yesterday
Kaushal Bharath Raju replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Hi David & Bud, $400/sqf > $300 sqf. The latter is the minimum cost of new construction in…"
yesterday
"Kaushal, There was a deep energy retrofit upgrade project (to Passive House standards) in San Jose…"
yesterday
Kim Tanner updated an event

Beyond Residential Testing at The Energy Conservatory

May 14, 2014 to May 16, 2014
The Energy Conservatory (TEC) is hosting a Beyond Residential Testing event. In addition we are…See More
yesterday

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service