BPI does not consider fireplaces or wood stoves to be combustion appliances.  Yet they produce CO and can backdraft fumes into a house. 

Obviously you can't perform a spillage, CO, or draft test on a fireplace, and you wouldn't want to run a blower door or duct blaster soon after having a fire in a wood stove or fireplace. 

But what do you think would be a good worst case depressurization limit for a fireplace or wood stove?  -5 pascals, same as a natural drafting furnace or boiler?

Anyone ever do a spillage, CO, or draft test on a wood stove?

What have you done or recommended if a fireplace or wood stove backdrafts under worst case or natural conditions?

Tags: Backdrafting, CAZ, depressurization

Views: 509

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think a WCD of -5pa is pretty reasonable, but like Adam I would love to see some data!
The guys at the energy conservatory did some work on this a number of years ago. As I recall, 6 Pascals is enough to backdraft an operational fireplace. BPI does consider fireplaces and woodstoves CAZs.
Couple of things, though. 1. The worst part of a fireplace fire is at the end of the burn, when the chimney is cooling, and combustion is incomplete. Those romantic embers can be deadly. If a fireplace or woodstove backdrafts at the beginning, people usually don't like the smoke and open a window, which may or may not help.
2. I think you have to consider a fireplace or woodstove as a serious participant in sucking the air out of the house for worst case depressurization. I use the blower door to draw 250 to 300 cfm out of the house along with all the other exhaust appliances. No, I don't start a fire and see what happens!
Wow that is interesting, running the blower door at 250 to 300 cfm to simulate what the real worst case would be like with a fire in the fireplace or wood stove.

BPI may consider fireplaces and wood stoves to be CAZs, but they don't have any depressurization limits or action levels to implement for them. So as far as BPI goes, you could have a house with a worst case depressurization of -10 pascals and a fireplace or wood stove, and it would pass with flying colors with no requirements or recommendations to fix anything.

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Colin Genge commented on Jim Gunshinan's blog post Energy Upgrade California—Up Close and Personal
"Pressurize the house to +25 Pa. Use smoke on the registers to identify leakage to outdoors then use…"
3 hours ago
Tim Reynolds replied to Alan Gindt's discussion Minneapolis Blower Door, Pressure Pan, and Bacharach CO 3 For Sale in the group Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase
"I was wondering if you would sell the pressure pan by itself and for how much? Thanks -Tim"
12 hours ago
Profile IconTim Reynolds and angela hines joined allen p tanner's group
Thumbnail

Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase

Discuss the pros and cons of the equipment you are interested in prior to purchase. Post equipment…See More
12 hours ago
Profile IconAllen Rathey, Kevin Love, Shannon Kahl and 1 more joined Home Energy Pros
12 hours ago
angela hines replied to Alan Gindt's discussion Minneapolis Blower Door, Pressure Pan, and Bacharach CO 3 For Sale in the group Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase
"What is the price for them together? What is the price just for the blower door set?"
yesterday
Alan Gindt replied to Alan Gindt's discussion Minneapolis Blower Door, Pressure Pan, and Bacharach CO 3 For Sale in the group Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase
"Yes"
yesterday
Anna Jursik's blog post was featured
yesterday
Everblue posted a status
"New Energy Auditor Jobs posted on our Massachusetts Job Board! Check them out: http://www.everblue.edu/hiring/job-board/massachusetts"
yesterday
Everblue posted events
yesterday
angela hines replied to Brooke Ingram's discussion 3 full sets of testing equipment available for sale! in the group Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase
"Hi is the Minneapolis blower door set still available?"
yesterday
angela hines replied to David Allen's discussion Like new! Great Deal! Minneapolis Blower Door system, Duct Blaster and Flir i-7 Infrared Camera for sale in the group Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase
"I am interested in the blower door and camera. Are they still available? If so i will buy. Please…"
yesterday
angela hines replied to Alan Gindt's discussion Minneapolis Blower Door, Pressure Pan, and Bacharach CO 3 For Sale in the group Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase
"Is this still for sale? I am interested and would want to buy."
yesterday

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service