When there are hundreds of data points collected for each home and infinite variations of home energy components (and behavioral factors), can we realistically expect the data collection and energy predictions to be accurate?

In addition, quantification is great. But how do home energy ratings make a compelling reason to make home energy improvements when the energy savings is modest and the inherent value proposition of comfort, health and a modern lifestyle are not included in the home summary?

Keep in mind that I am asking about Ratings with software modeling, not Audits that are more subjective but still may use diagnostic tools like a blower door.

Views: 259

Replies to This Discussion

lol. Turn off subsidies for oil and gas and I'll be able to sell solar panels without tax credits.  Take away subsidy for corn and America's diet gets a whole lot healthier.  But then what will our Health Care sector do?  Poor big Pharma!!

Every move we make relates to a subsidy.  

True performance based incentives are paid later, after the performance is proven.  

Show me the proof.  Make it easy for me to see. 

You may get your wish very soon as the collective political will is turning against government spending.  That is why the retrofit industry must find proven metrics in order to survive a "free market".  The new construction market has that already. 

Phil, didn't see you here. Great post. Banged that one. The importance of asking stat habits emphasized very nicely. Marginal propensity to freeze your butt off. T-stat elasticity curve! (funny stuff!)

Success with customer, to me, is measured by your promised/delivered ratio compared to your competitions.

If you game your savings to make SIR, you know savings won't follow. Where is accountability for this? It can't be job to job, it needs to be more statically accurate than that. By taking the average, or even charting it and deleting outliers, a picture of performance will appear.

This is really a crappy BB engine.  

Replies are all over the board instead of top to bottom, and since they are not specifically time stamped chronology is nearly impossible to follow.  

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Shashank Kirloskar posted a blog post

Important Facts about Solar Energy

“I’d put my money on the sun and solar energy. What a source of power! I hope we don’t have to wait…See More
20 hours ago
reflintorm replied to Dennis McCarthy's discussion Solid state lighting - saves lives- and it improves life .
"In my observation, In most of the lightning appliances led bulbs are used because of their…"
20 hours ago
Chad Mcaulife posted photos
yesterday
Bob Blanchette commented on Jeremy Begley's blog post The Home Envelope : Does it Really Matter in a Heat Loss Calculation
"Infiltration makes a HUGE difference. Look at the heat loads on a windy day vs. a calm one. On a…"
yesterday
Bob Blanchette commented on Everblue's blog post Poor HVAC Installation Leads to Increased Energy Use
"That explains a LOT of why HVAC system continue to be sized by the same "rule of thumb"…"
yesterday
Profile IconChristian Asdal and Shashank Kirloskar joined Home Energy Pros
yesterday
Don Fitchett shared their video on Digg
yesterday
Don Fitchett shared their video on StumbleUpon
yesterday

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service