Right now I can get a small supply of Philips L Prize 60w Led bulbs at an attractive price. Is it worth switching my home and business over if I already have CFLs installed? The CFLs always seem to burn out early, for some reason. The one I can get is the 9290002097 model no. LED Bulb Test . Any thoughts or reliable calculators? Thanks in advance for your reply!    Tom D

specific model: 9290002097 listed as 423244 on UPC

Views: 2946

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

IMHO what needs to happen is FIXTURE redesign. Lets design fixtures that can only use LEDs or CFLs and open up tons of design possibilities. Trying to make all fixtures take A19 bulbs and then trying to optimize LED/CFL for a shape optimized for incandescent is backwards thinking. LED fixtures could be less than 1" think, flush to a wall or ceiling.

Bob-

Regarding your thoughts on SSL design - I'm going to take a guess that you haven't been

to a LED lighting trade show like LightFair-

We can exclude musing about cfls & move on to the good stuff- OLEDs the whole subset is

exploding - Do you want 2 mil thick Light sources- we've got 'em ready for early adopters

- anxious for transparemt screens that can illuminate a room - got 'em already

- How's about foldable OLED - we got those too - the design possibilities are limitless.

Want wearable - illuminated fabrics -got 'em already -- then there are the TFTs now

being used in auto dashboard displays - Coming soon OLETs that blow away OLEDs

performance wise- Screw based luminiares will still be around for a decade but as a

form factor there are already 100's of variantions right now and more coming next week.

Those elements you alluded to are already here !

Now it's just a question as to when they get to a competitive price point. The cool factor of the new designs will add value to buyers, but prices will need to drop for the fixtures to become mainstream.

Bob-

I've heard the price thing for 5 + years - It's a part of the fun & glamour of the biz ;)

2  relevant pricing notes - the Par 38 lamps that used to cost me $95 wholesale are

down to about $28 for OK quality

OLEDs - a Megalumen of output from last years

OLED products was $800 next years projected megalumen cost $30 - WOW

The only problem with a move to alternatives other than A19 is the consumer's healthy suspicion of being roped into a particular form factor available from a sole manufacturer. Various pin base and other standards are out there but lamp cost tends to be 3-5x A19 equivalent lamps.

Until a competitively priced widely adopted standard emerges, A19 will live on.

LEDs should last the life of the fixture, whey even make them removable?

Bob

The LEDs - factually won't last forever- the diode might last for 60,000 hrs as the luminiare

might have a lifetime of 8000 hrs due to crappy electrolytic capacitors.

There's the issue of color shift due to phosphors bubbling -  caused by thermal issues.

You wouldn't want to be stuck with 2013 model yr stuff in perpetual use anyhow, you wouldn't

have been OK with your 2009 phone stapled to your ear. You want to change things up.

Or alternately saying  what might seem to be a great product now would not be

the right product then, because the approach WILL change - Using DC in 2015 but

set up for AC upon installation date next year or because of something like the Zhaga standard.

It's just that the evolution is moving at break neck speed - no one should be stuck with

pedestrian stuff thats on shelves now- mind you it's not bad, in fact its good to decent.

- My perspective is biased by constant exposure to stuff thats more advanced

than most "typical " consumers see .

Thanks for addressing the possible weak electronic parts issue, Dennis. That's why may of us defer to you on this technology. Appreciate the input. t

WHOA!  - wait a minute...much of the hype surrounding LED is that they'll greatly outlast CFL and thus have a life cycle cost that overcomes their first cost.

Now you are saying,essentially, that we should plan for early obsolescence of whatever we buy today...there goes the life cycle cost argument.

While I agree that mobile phones don't last, I think that results from a combination of early failure, evolving mission, and marketing that makes a new phone same or cheaper price as replacing battery in a 2 year old phone.

Mobile phones are infinitely more complex and useful than light bulbs. We remain content with our 2007 light bulbs, can opener, tea kettle, toilet seats, etc.

+1 on life cycle of LED's. From an energy savings prospective LED and CFL are really close on lumens per watt. LED does well in low lumen applications, but CFL wins in high lumen applications. Regular 4' T8/T5 lamps destroy both CFL and LED in terms of initial cost and Lumen per watt numbers. LED has a LONG way to go before it gets anywhere near 4' T8/T5's numbers. 4' lamps are dominant in commercial for a reason...

Long thread.  Short answer maybe people will read.

As with a Prius purchase, how far do you drive?  60,000 miles a year or 6000?

And are you at replacement, because then you just need to justify incremental cost.

I've been watching and testing LEDs for several years and can say that, while there is definitely variability both in quality and price, the technology is maturing rapidly. I now use them in 75% of the applications in my house. Yes, in this case I'm playing the early adopter, but it's the way I can learn about them. Surprised that the users of this site would not all feel the same way.

Just today installing track lighting, and using 6W GU-10 LED lamps that are quite comparable with 50W halogens. Three to a fixture, this is real savings even at $20 each. Good color temperature, and if you watch what you're getting, good CRI.

This one example should point out that the bulky heat sinks are old technology. Keep watching, and start tyring them out! One source I'd recommend (can I do that here?) is Lemnis Lighting, who makes a great product and is bringing the price down a LOT. Great to see -- support this industry. BTW, in the Home Depot lighting aisle, there is ALWAYS a crowd in front of the LED display -- so consumers are very interested. CFLs are subsidized, and hopefully this will soon extend to LEDs.

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Sean Lintow Sr replied to Bud Poll's discussion Basing air exchange on house volume??
"Sorry Bud but I think you need to clarify your issues with using volumes to calculate ACH As for…"
2 hours ago
Profile IconWes Anderson, Jean-Paul and Bryan joined Home Energy Pros
Friday
Dennis Heidner commented on Dale Stephens's blog post LED Lighting 24-month update 18,240 hours & counting
"Dale, good write up. For the landscaping bulbs,  if they had been T3 12V wedge bulbs,  I…"
Friday
Brett Little commented on Tom White's video
Thumbnail

The Future of Housing - And How Airtightness Can Help

"It's very true! So many people and contractors have tons of insulated attics but no air seal…"
Thursday
Chris Leach replied to Richard Beyer's discussion "The Dangers of Using Spray Foam Insulation"
"The problems will surface soon enough . Why don't we take a second look at this over rated…"
Thursday
Don Fitchett commented on Tom White's video
Thursday
tedkidd replied to Bob Blanchette's discussion How does Cycles Per Hour affect real world AFUE?
"Want to spot a simpleton? It's a guy who thinks EE and comfort are disconnected.  Want…"
Thursday
tedkidd commented on Tom White's blog post Clean Energy Works Oregon: Total Home Performance
"Nice post Tom! I really like how he puts that. Leveraging interests so they can optimize…"
Thursday

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service