We live at the bottom of "an Ocean of Air"

The power of the atmosphere is pretty, pretty darn impressive

yet we seem to take it for granted and barely notice it

Views: 688

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Of Course, the tanker implosion also demontrates the amazing power of WATER and phase change

Lucas, thanks for the video pick

I like your observation of "tipping point".....

here is another example of "splosive" phase change

Hi John,

We are all used to the standard reference of 14.7 psi at sea level, but when you convert that to pounds per sq ft it becomes scary, 2117 pounds for every ft².  Buoyancy is good.

Hi Bud, I stumbled on an interesting comment recently that I had never seen before....

A different way of visualizing the "scale" of One Pascal

One Pascal (one Newton per square meter) is very similar to a dollar bill(or any other US bill)

Hi Caan,

I hesitate to answer your question because it looks like you were merely trying to post a link to your website. Just in case you were serious...The photo shows the Magdeburg Hemispheres

An Explanation of the "Apparatus" was posted below the photo.... I will repeat it:

another explanation can be found here:

Lol not at all john. Just interested in what it was. I have a degree in thermo dynamics and looks simular to a apparatus we worked with back at university.

Hi Caan,

Here is a Link to the Main Page.....

For All sorts of Vintage Instruments and Apparatus

and here is a link to a most excellent Physics book from 1875

the Illustrations are outstanding

Hi, Lucas "the Heretic" and "Airtight Sheathing Nut"

I am glad you joined HEP

Yes.... I do like Science Videos

Here is one from the not-so-nutty Professor.... that explains the Tanker Implosion

on a slightly smaller scale

and here is another simple video .... showing similar results ...but different

there is a twist in this video....(the candle)

there is more going on here than just condensation and the atmosphere

Even better (in some ways) than Professor Julius Sumner Miller

Professor Walter Lewin

And Lucas,...BTW (By the Way) you are partially to blame for my curiosity/obsession with Neutral Pressure Planes

It was your questions that sparked the comments By Michael Blasnik in this GBA Blog

I also appreciate the link to the Klote Paper that you dug up for me

• Add Videos

Latest Activity

Debra Little posted a video

Building Carbon Zero 2015, PHCA

Building Carbon Zero 2015. Passive House CA with City of Palo Alto 2015 summit. Produced by Debra Little. Shot on iPhone 5. Everyone can make videos with the tools in your back pocket!
1 hour ago
Home Energy Magazine's blog post was featured
10 hours ago
Profile IconDave Chamberlain, angela stanzione and Bruce Zahn joined Home Energy Pros
10 hours ago
Paul Holder added a discussion to the group Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase

Blower Door frame

Looking for a blower door frame for Minneapolis blower door. Needing a 2nd. frame if anyone has one…See More
14 hours ago
Joe Urycki replied to Joe Urycki's discussion TEC blower door and UEI combustion analyzer for sale in the group Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase
"Yes, I do still have the equipment.  Are you interested in it?"
Amber Vignieri commented on Amber Vignieri's blog post Even with Polar Vortex, Hourly Pricing Participants Saved
"Thanks for your comment Bob! We couldn't be more excited about the increasing prevalence of…"
Home Energy Magazine posted a blog post
Noah Ray Sanders replied to Steve Mann's discussion TEC Blower Door Frame in the group Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase
"If so please contact me 8329717862 or email noahraysanders@hotmail.com"

© 2016   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service