Can anyone share their experience with air sampling of low pressure 2 part foam in residential homes? I'm about 20 hours into reading endless amounts of information relating to the hazards and need help  Anybody had any experience with OSHA or PELS of typical retrofits?

Views: 286

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cory, we have tried badges to detect airborne isocyanates.  The ones we tried were not sufficiently sensitive to detect the components in the low pressure foam we were using.

We also have talked with our foam manufacturer and with our respirator cartridge supplier.  We concluded that the best way to minimize the risks of long term exposure is to use positive pressure, outdoor supplied air respirators rather than the dual cartridge respirators.  Also, good engineering controls (lots of ventilation) should be used during the foam application.

Homeowners definitely need to be out of the house during application and for the manufacturer's recommended period afterwards.  We also recommend that pets be out of the house.  Installers need to be protected from exposure during this period as well.

Thanks Jon, we do all of the above with the exception of the homeownerns leaving. They are denied access to where the foam is being applied and we ventilate.

As a manufacturer of low pressure SPF, Fomo has done multiple air monitoring studies.  Our Product Stewardship Guidelines outline a typical air monitoring study done in Connecticut. I have tried to attach this, but it can also be found at www.fomo.com.  You can see on page 9 that the concentrations detected were well below OSHA limits.  It's great that you are ventilating and wearing the proper PPE, however, we would agree with Jon that the occupants should vacate during the work and with Handi-Foam SPF for one hour after you have stopped spraying, this typically gives you enough time to clean-up and the homeowner can be back home. 

Attachments:

InsulSmart is a two-part aminoplast interior foam insulation offered by cfiFOAM, Inc. based in Knoxville, TN. InsulSmart - when tested per ASTM D-5116 @ "full chamber"-  showed low emissions rapidly declining from 24.6 ppb @ 7-days, to 6.5 ppb @ 14-days,  to 0.8 ppb @ 21-days, and to less than 0.8 ppb @ 28-days, which is pretty close to zero emissions. The product's low emissions reflect 1) processing to remove virtually all free-formaldehyde prior to packaging; 2) sophisticated cross-linking chemistry that reduces formaldehyde emissions to levels below ambient in many instances.

A report of ASTM D-5116 is attached along with a summary of various federal agency's guidelines. For product information and to view a short video clip, go to www.cfifoam.com.

Attachments:

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Tom Conlon commented on Kurt Shafer's blog post What is your opinion about members promoting products here?
"I just checked the site Guidelines Kurt, and any true "promotions" should be posted in…"
8 hours ago
Tom Conlon posted a discussion

Whole House Fans - Love 'Em or Not?

I just searched this forum for "Whole House Fan", but I didn't find much about them (except …See More
8 hours ago
Richard Beyer replied to Mike Kandel's discussion Our Homes Suck – And That's Why Our Kids Have Sinus Problems
"Don, Thank you for the praise! I only wish that some of these profiteers could answer my questions…"
11 hours ago
Richard Beyer replied to Mike Kandel's discussion Our Homes Suck – And That's Why Our Kids Have Sinus Problems
"Todd, This report (attached link) below on poor people living in subsidized housing show's…"
11 hours ago
Mike Kandel added 4 discussions to the group Building Performance Institute (BPI)
13 hours ago
Mike Kandel posted discussions
13 hours ago
Nate Adams commented on Jim Gunshinan's blog post My Energy Upgrade California—The Numbers Are In
"Jim, Glad to help! OK, a touch of soap box. So long as we don't tell people EE is free and…"
13 hours ago
Kurt Shafer commented on Kurt Shafer's blog post What is your opinion about members promoting products here?
"Bob, Good idea. I see that you are a window energy reduction expert. You might consider adding…"
14 hours ago
Robert (Bob) Bacon commented on Kurt Shafer's blog post What is your opinion about members promoting products here?
"Kurt, I would explain what energy/efficiency problem this device solves and explain the science the…"
14 hours ago
Ben Jacobs replied to Mike Kandel's discussion Our Homes Suck – And That's Why Our Kids Have Sinus Problems
"I agree that in many homes the indoor air sucks.  However, a lot of this problem is caused…"
16 hours ago
Kurt Shafer commented on Kurt Shafer's blog post What is your opinion about members promoting products here?
"Tom, thank you for your odd reference to a leaky duck. It is a bit off topic since I was not asking…"
17 hours ago
Tom Delconte commented on Kurt Shafer's blog post What is your opinion about members promoting products here?
"Shameless self promotion here sucks like a leaky duck!"
18 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service