As much as I would like to say I am an expert, I am not when it comes to the actual performance and settings of a residential gas furnace and air conditioning unit.  So I am hoping some would be willing to share their incite or at least some resources I could go to.

So my question is about the fan speed settings for the heating and cooling system.  Two years ago I had a new Tempstar 95AFUE two stage variable speed furnace installed.  It is my understanding that even though it is a variable speed fan that you want to adjust fan speed differently for the heating and cooling system.  I ask because the service tech was at the house today on an A/C tune up & when my wife inquired about the fan speed, she was told it was on the factory settings.

So is this true, with variable speed motors you don't have to worry about the fan speed, or should there have been some kind of adjustments at time of the original install?  And for future service calls by potentially another company, what kind of testing should I ask for to be done to see if the CFM moving through the system are appropriate for the season.

Thanks in advance!

Josh

Views: 11140

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds like to me that you have a system installed and it has never been setup properly. Have a Service Tech come by and set it up for you.

A quick static pressure test would help you determine if you're getting the flow you need over the coil.   You should be able to reference your manufacturer's documentation for the TESP.   If it's too high, then it would be time to call in for a clean and tune as well as test and balance.   

Just my $0.02.

this is what I do for 25 yr.  I find most res unit are mid .8" water Col.   The tag on side of air mover says .5 or .4

you can look at SP or feet per min or temp, you get the same model.  This is big,  very big

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Mike Kandel added a discussion to the group Building Performance Institute (BPI)
Thumbnail

BPI's Home Energy Auditing Standard Published as ANSI Standard

The Building Performance Institute, Inc. (BPI) is proud to announce that BPI-1100-T-2014: Home…See More
2 hours ago
Mike Kandel posted a discussion

BPI's Home Energy Auditing Standard Published as ANSI Standard

The Building Performance Institute, Inc. (BPI) is proud to announce that BPI-1100-T-2014: Home…See More
2 hours ago
Hal Skinner posted a discussion
2 hours ago
Todd St.Clair joined allen p tanner's group
Thumbnail

Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase

Discuss the pros and cons of the equipment you are interested in prior to purchase. Post equipment…See More
5 hours ago
Todd St.Clair replied to Jim Falakos's discussion Treat Software in the group Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase
"How long ago did you buy this, if it was good for 5 months? And how much would you take for this."
5 hours ago
Bud Poll replied to Bud Poll's discussion Basing air exchange on house volume??
"Hi Sean, yes I am struggling with this and that is why I opened the discussion, so a definite…"
7 hours ago
Lynda Wright is now a member of Home Energy Pros
8 hours ago
Sean Lintow Sr replied to Bud Poll's discussion Basing air exchange on house volume??
"Sorry Bud but I think you need to clarify your issues with using volumes to calculate ACH As for…"
19 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service