Does anyone have experience or an opinion on Aeroseal duct leakage sealing system?

Views: 7516

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There was a previous thread on this, I think, maybe 6 months ago?

Dave,

Thanks for the info on the past discussion on this product. I should have searched first before I posted

Ed

For reference, we have a local HVAC contractor that has been doing this for years.  In performing QA on a utility rebate, I questioned the home owner on the work he had done and found that "Dayco" had performed the aeroseal process on his ducts along with replacing the furnace.  I remember the duct leakage numbers being well below the rebate target of 10% of conditioned floor area with a cost of about $1,000 or so.  Standard duct sealing with mastic and hand contact with the ductwork runs around $400-500 in our area.

Taking into account whether or not ducts are accessable and/ or insulated under a pile of attic insulation may result in the Aeroseal process being the more efficient way to go, especially if you have to re-blow portions of the attic or re-wrap the ducts.

Here is their link.

http://www.daycoheating.com/

I went to a product demo at their offices. The product preformed well and i really think it will work well. My problem is that the costs to the home owner is about double what they say it will be. In my area of New York labor is high and insurance is higher two items that leave out of their projected costs.
Eliot-----------thanks for the reply. When you say the labor and insurance were left out, is that the way it was suggested that the job is quoted. That is very unusual.
no it was the way they tried to say you can make a fast $1000 at $1500 to the home owner. but in reality it cost you more to actually do the work due to the other costs they didnt include.
You make a good point, Eliot. Home owner costs are different in different regions. And in New York, where everything is more expensive (median home prices near $500k) home owner costs will certainly be higher than average. Aeroseal says the average (nationwide) cost to home owners is $1,100 - $1,500. Gross margins for service providers is somewhere around 25%-50%. That's "gross" not "net". I would think this is more than enough to cover labor and insurance costs - and quite a viable option for pros looking to expand their home energy conservation services. 

Ed,

Just an fyi, there were problems within Carrier when they owned the rights and the project/technology was shelved just as their second generation of machine was hitting the market.  Aeroseal was sold and is now back on the market under the Aeroseal name.

We are now a dealer for Aeroseal and could not be more happy with the results we've been getting.  The process is labor intensive to get setup (removing register covers, blocking and sealing boots, etc...), but the sealing process works great.  We were just called in to help out with a house for one of our Raters (we are a RESNET Rating and Rater Training Provider, and BPI Affilliate), that works on houses for Habitat.  One of their homes was going to fail Energy Star because of duct leakage (they had tried to seal the ducts themselves but caught the problem too late after drywall)- we came in and we're able to take total supply leakage from 369 CFM@25 to under 60 and the the cavity ducted returns from over 400 CFM to approximately 44 CFM@25.

In another example - a house with two separate air handlers and duct systems - we were able to reduce the total system leakage (boots, ducts, air handler, etc...) by over 80%.  The house was only 6 years old, and the return and supply were metal rectangular trunks with round branch ducts.  Both systems had over 400 CFM of supply leakage, and about equal return leakage (not including the boots).  Given both systems total flows were only about 1,300 CFM (actual measured flows), that means over 30% was being lost to floor cavities, wall cavities and some to the outside.  The home owners saw a 16% reduction in total KWH year over year the first month (with only about 2 weeks of the billing cycle being included after sealing), with the exact same average daily temperature for the month as the year prior.

We'll be putting these examples and more out on our website soon.  Check out our website for more information - Priority Energy , but in short - so far we are really happy with the product.  We operate in Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan and Indiana.

Could anyone give me an idea of investment cost of this system....?

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Tom Mallard replied to Kurt Shafer's discussion Where can I find the best radiant barrier to install under my roof?
"Anything done to raise the roofing off the sheathing works to reduce the high temperatures in the…"
1 hour ago
Michael Dunseith posted a photo

http://www.prattcenter.net/energy-champions-launch-party

Senator Kevin Parker poses with Pratt Center's Green Jobs Green New York Project Coordinator Elana…
8 hours ago
Michael Dunseith posted a status
8 hours ago
Rob Madden, Solar Home Broker posted a blog post

Phoenix 3rd Quarter Solar Resale Statistics Continue to Impress

Phoenix solar home sales were up during the third quarter of 2014, including the resale of homes…See More
yesterday
Everblue posted a status
"Green job alert! Energy Auditor in Baltimore, MD with Advanced Green Home Solutions. Check it out: http://bit.ly/1xhQuXO"
yesterday
Chris Clay replied to Isaiah Borel's discussion Blown Cellulose VS Blown Fiberglass in the Attic
"The Cold Climate Housing Research Center in Fairbanks, AK has alot of information about this…"
yesterday
Richard L. Sanderson replied to Bud Poll's discussion Inconsistant Local Authority
"Bud: I like the idea of a third party review board. My own experience in local government is that…"
yesterday
Matthew Lutz commented on Kaplan Clean Tech's blog post The Difference Between Home Inspection and Energy Auditing [Infographic]
"I would have to agree with Steve on this.  I am a Certified Energy Manager and have performed…"
yesterday

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service