Adding return air from a heated basement in a high radon area

When building my house in CT, return air ducts are not put into basements because of radon, at least along the coast where radon levels are high. In prepaing for an addition to the house, I will be adding radon remediation. I don't like the pressure differences in the house currently as the basement has supply ducts but no return ducts, and feel that adding returns will help with better more consistent temperatures throughout the house. I'll also be adding an ERV to the current HVAC system during the addition process. I'm curious if anyone has done this process and what the results were.

Views: 586

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Gary,

As you certainly know, omitting returns in the basement isn't exactly a solution for radon :).  Preparation for radon in new homes is an absolute must for people in locations like yours and mine, problem areas.  Any new home built without such could face a huge penalty when it comes time to sell.  Any major renovation like what your planning is a good time to play catch-up. 

I still remember the first home in our neighborhood that failed a radon test, at least the first I heard about.  I think a haunted house would have been easier to sell.  As time has passed, that fear has switched places with one of not having the remediation in place, now that everyone has accepted that the radon is always going to be there and needs to be taken care of.

Back to your house, if you do a great job of remediation, I would not be worried about the heating system circulating basement air into the house.  If the remaining level is higher than you would like, then isolating the basement with its own HRV and heat is possible. 

Your first step is the remediation and a look at those results.

As for the consistent temperatures throughout the house, that is a process of delivering the right amount of heat to the right places and you are correct that return air is a big part of that. 

Bud

A thorough sealing of the duct system, including the furnace cabinet should do a lot to remove pressure differences from the air handler. Radon issues aside, there are a number of reasons to avoid basement returns.

Greg, what are the numerous reasons you mention?

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Don Fitchett commented on Diane Chojnowski's group Facebook Pages
"I just went through the 1st 2 pages of member's facebook pages liking them. While our training…"
17 minutes ago
Don Fitchett joined Diane Chojnowski's group
Thumbnail

Facebook Pages

Does your company or organization have a Facebook Page?This group is for pros who have facebook…See More
54 minutes ago
Mike Kandel added 3 discussions to the group Building Performance Institute (BPI)
1 hour ago
Mike Kandel posted discussions
1 hour ago
EnergyLogic Academy updated an event

RESNET Phase 2 Rater Training - Field Training at EnergyLogic Academy - Berthoud CO

September 22, 2014 to September 24, 2014
The EnergyLogic Academy will be hosting the second phase of HERS Rater Training August 4th - 7th,…See More
1 hour ago
Mike Kandel commented on David Byrnes's blog post Strategies To Keep Millennials At Their Peak Performance In A Home Performance Company
"David - I'd like to speak with you about this article. Please email me at mkandel@bpi.org."
1 hour ago
Hal Skinner replied to Richard Beyer's discussion Spontaneous Combustion and Flash Fire regarding Spray Foam Insulation
"This thread has certainly turned into what sounds like  a thread from a fire safety website…"
4 hours ago
Barbara Smith replied to Mike Kandel's discussion Our Homes Suck – And That's Why Our Kids Have Sinus Problems
"RIVEC is a project of the Lawrence Berkeley Lab.  It's a residential ventilation fan…"
5 hours ago
tedkidd replied to Mike Kandel's discussion Our Homes Suck – And That's Why Our Kids Have Sinus Problems
"Richard, I don't "Know" that the earth is not flat, but I'm pretty confident it…"
6 hours ago
Shawn O'Neill replied to Mike Kandel's discussion Our Homes Suck – And That's Why Our Kids Have Sinus Problems
"    Great discussion and points brought up via this "fuse" lit.  More…"
6 hours ago
John Proctor commented on Christopher Morin's blog post How do You Test a TXV?
"Oh yes one more item. There has to be a combination of water and ice to achieve 32 degrees F. That…"
7 hours ago
John Proctor commented on Christopher Morin's blog post How do You Test a TXV?
"Thank you for the nice post. Remember that the important thing is the actual superheat that…"
7 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service