What would you estimate the AFUE is for a 70 year old boiler?

Views: 389

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Mathew,

My gosh, that's older than I am, it must be about as efficient as a camp fire. 

Seriously, that can be done with your combustion analyzer. In states where you are allowed to do so, it is a handy way to put a number on a very important piece of data.  Sometimes the HVAC tech will have left that information from his/her last tune up, but I don't find it very often. 

Here is just one link, I didn't read it all, that discusses combustion efficiency:

http://www.tsi.com/uploadedFiles/Product_Information/Literature/Han...

Bud

PS, I would guess 50 to 60%

Bud,

Thank you for the information.  I will look the link over carefully.  Of course the efficiency of the combustion process is important but this is only a part of the equation.  Over time scale (rust) etc will build up on the heat exchanger and this will cause more heat to go up the stack rather than transfer to the water.  A well serviced unit with high combustion efficiency would still have degraded over time.  There is a service record that indicated an 82% efficiency with 10% CO2.  Not sure how this can used to evaluate if the original AFUE of .65 should be degraded.

Having the combustion efficiency gives you the big part of the AFUE number.  From there you know that the AFUE is lower.  At least you have a basis for determining the combustion efficiency that is better than guessing.

If you have an adjusted heat loss for the home that reflects the actual living conditions and their actual energy used, then you have another path to estimate AFUE, but it is riddled with guesswork.

A typical cast iron boiler, pre 70, would be around 60%.  Yours should be less.  As for the 82% on the service record, being able to generate your own number would increase your confidence in that number.  In my experience, a tech has to get a good number or s/he did not tune the boiler properly, so they get a good number, whether it is correct or not.  Who is checking???

ASHRAE of course has their methods, but not something I have tackled.  In Maine we are prohibited from getting too involved with anything HVAC.  We can run CAZ and the rest is hands off. We can't even drill a hole in the flue if there isn't one, LOL. Here we don't have a line between HVAC and Energy Auditing, we have a concrete wall.

Bud

Hi Matthew.  The boilers and steampipes in these pictures are from the original boilers in this hospital when it was built in 1940 or 1941.  I coated these in 1989.  It dropped the skin temperature from 267F down to 155F.  The engineers said this was a 35% reduction in heat loss through the metals and insulation (Asbestos).  If this could help your project, let me know.

Hal

I think boiler AFUE is a really tough thing to narrow down.  If a boiler is grossly oversized it will tend to go very cold.  Cycling losses will be huge.  So measuring combustion only tells a very small part of the picture.  

Here's an article I found very interesting that you might find helpful:  http://bit.ly/oSyma4

The boilers in the pictures of my post have a low fire / high fire system.  They were always on low fire until the temp came down and the high fire mode kicked on for however long.  The only time one would be turned off was for annual servicing, re-mortaring the fire bricks inside, etc,

There was a much smaller and newer boiler that served the kitchen area for hot water ony.  That was a off and on system there.

Not sure if on / off systemes existed back in the 40's.

Sure Hal,

I think this is getting away from the OP question though, which I suspect refers to a residential system (this is Home Energy Pros).  

I could be wrong, usually am at least once a day and hope to keep that up for a while.    :-)

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Richard Vito joined Sean Lintow Sr's group
Thumbnail

Best Practices (Residential)

Best Building, Retrofitting, or even Auditing Practices - what are they, what should change, what…See More
31 minutes ago
Richard Vito joined James Sayers's group
Thumbnail

Marketing Energy Efficiency

Sharing ideas, tools and examples of promoting energy efficiency to consumersSee More
32 minutes ago
Richard Vito joined Allison A. Bailes III's group
Thumbnail

HVAC

HVAC design, Manuals J, S, T, & D, Duct leakage, Air flow, ENERGY STAR new home requirements,…See More
33 minutes ago
Richard Vito joined Kyle Brown's group
Thumbnail

Wrightsoft - Manual J / Manual D

If you use Wrightsoft to calculate loads or design ducts, you likely have questions.  Get answers…See More
34 minutes ago
Richard Vito joined allen p tanner's group
Thumbnail

Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase

Discuss the pros and cons of the equipment you are interested in prior to purchase. Post equipment…See More
35 minutes ago
Jim Gunshinan commented on Jim Gunshinan's blog post Energy Upgrade California—Up Close and Personal
"I had a revelation while attending Bruce Manclark's session of duct leak testing at the Energy…"
15 hours ago
George J. Nesbitt commented on Jim Gunshinan's blog post Energy Upgrade California—Up Close and Personal
"Blower Door; the 2007 test was a depressurization test, and the 2014 a pressurization test, which…"
15 hours ago
George J. Nesbitt replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Plan, plan, plan, plan. The 1st step to is to understand the house, how it's built, the…"
15 hours ago
George J. Nesbitt posted an event

High Performance Windows - A Panel of Experts at Pyramid Alehouse`

April 26, 2014 from 3pm to 5pm
Join a lively panel discussion on high performance windows. We'll cover some basics, as well as…See More
16 hours ago
Kaushal Bharath Raju replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Hi David, Thanks for pointing out Martin Holiday's article. I do not wish to engage in the…"
16 hours ago
Profile IconAdam Penberthy, Scot Davidson and j jarvella joined Home Energy Pros
16 hours ago
David Eakin replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"More food for thought on this subject - read this (fairly) recent blog by one of the most respected…"
22 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service