Is anyone "modeling" Homes to achieve the 2011 Federal Tax Credit? In our climate zone (2), Im trying to get a handle on the "Must Do's" to pass in REMRATE vs Energy Star 2.5/3.0
Any Help appreciated

Views: 255

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Going from Energy Star to tax credit level in Washington State may not require any addition measures depending on which compliance pathway you choose. To qualify my statement, the "Northwest Energy Star" requirements are more stringent than national because of the higher requirements of the Starr codes.
I would suggest modeling after the NW Estar program and see if anything additional is needed.
Lastly, if you are making suggestions to builders on how to build to that standard, ducts in conditioned space or mini split along with a better wall system are no brainers in my book.
Hope this helps"
Tyson
Thanks for taking the time to reply
Has this tax credit program been extended beyond the end of 2011?

We too are located in Washington State and have found that most homes built to the "NW Energy Star V 2.5" requirements meet the Federal tax credit.  The exception is a ranch style house meeting the bare ES minimums - they usually have to upgrade the equipment/windows beyond ES.  The requirements can be found at http://www.northwestenergystar.com/partners and look/click on the BOP1 for gas homes or BOP2 for electric homes.

We have heard differing opinions whether the tax credit will extend into 2012 - not likely though, seeing the stagnation that Congress is experiencing.  They can't seem to get anything done that benefits OUR country. :(

The rebate is tied to heating/cooling energy usage. I've simulated a lot of different things trying to determine what makes the biggest impact for Atlanta - Zone 3, and equipment efficiency seems to have the biggest impact. 15 SEER with a 95% furnace (or 9.0 HSPF heat pump) usually gets a home over the hump here. If the ducts are in the attic, duct leakage makes a big impact too. CFL's also have a large impact in REMRate. I have found that it will be very hard to get there without the equipment upgrade though.

The current extension is set to expire at the end of this year. Not sure if another extension is in the works. Of course we didn't get the current one until December of last year and it covers all of 2010 and 2011. The DSIRE website (www.dsireusa.org) has a good explanation. It's under the Federal Rebates section: second one under "Corporate Tax Credit".

Hope that helps.

Jeffrey

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

John Watson Ley replied to Luis Hernandez's discussion Distribution Efficiency and heating safety factor in TREAT in the group TREAT Software
"Luis, Good Evening, John of NY Construction Pros here. I don't think you need to worry about…"
10 hours ago
Mike Kandel added a discussion to the group Building Performance Institute (BPI)
Thumbnail

BPI Introduces IDL Certification for Duct and Envelope Tightness Testing Verification

Expand your knowledge, expertise and opportunity with BPI's BRAND NEW Infiltration and Duct Leakage…See More
15 hours ago
Mike Kandel posted a discussion

BPI Introduces IDL Certification for Duct and Envelope Tightness Testing Verification

Expand your knowledge, expertise and opportunity with BPI's BRAND NEW Infiltration and Duct Leakage…See More
15 hours ago
Kurt Shafer replied to Kurt Shafer's discussion Where can I find the best radiant barrier to install under my roof?
"Tom, I would like to see that article. Where is it? And what kind of radiant barrier could cost so…"
18 hours ago
Hal Skinner replied to Kurt Shafer's discussion Where can I find the best radiant barrier to install under my roof?
""On a RESNET discussion some insulation experts agreed that insulation will not prevent hot…"
19 hours ago
Profile IconAmir Alhaji, michael matthews and Kim Burnett joined Home Energy Pros
22 hours ago
Tom White's video was featured
22 hours ago
Adam Swain's blog post was featured

Top Worst Crawl Space Insulation Ideas

With winter right around the corner, many of us start looking at various ways to reduce heat loss…See More
yesterday

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service