General Forum (718)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Spray Foam and 2009 IRC codes? Your interpretation?

We are looking at spray foam and whether we will be able to use it without an ignition barrier in crawlspaces or attics. The initial opinio…

Started by Caleb Simon

8 May 14, 2012
Reply by Timothy Renz

Your thoughts on wiring fiberglass batts to the roof deck (hot dry climate)

I have seen many failed attempts at doing this method. I know it is not optimal, but many builders are still doing this as an upgrade to ce…

Started by Craig Bird

8 May 10, 2012
Reply by Craig Bird

Multi Family Auditing

I'm curious to hear from anyone with experience in Multi Family Auditing what your thoughts on the muti-point blower door test are, and if…

Started by Thomas Price

38 May 10, 2012
Reply by Tim Marlett

The Short-Circuit Theory, Keep or Remove Those Gable Vents?

When a ridge vent is added to a house that already has gable and soffit vents, you may hear advice that goes something like this. "You must…

Started by Bud Poll

21 May 8, 2012
Reply by Bob Blanchette

Leakage to outside on ducts fully within the envelope

I am just wondering if a lot of people are feeling the way I do on the subject of testing Duct Leakage To Outside on duct systems that are…

Started by Jack Baikoff

10 May 3, 2012
Reply by tedkidd

BPI Works with RSES to Expand Accreditation Options for the HVAC Contractor

BPI now accepts the Refrigeration Service Engineers Society (RSES) certifications as prerequisite criteria for participation in our accredi…

Started by Cierra Mooney

0 May 1, 2012

Codes, codes & more codes

Come by to check out our latest newsletter featuring building code related stories.  If you're interested in receiving the newsletter on mo…

Started by Silvie Votrubova

0 Apr 30, 2012

R-19 Walls

Good afternoon, I am looking for cost effective insulating for a 1910 brick 2 story in Chicago. Demo starts today. Complete gut. 18" crawls…

Started by randy tolowski

1 Apr 30, 2012
Reply by Bud Poll

Who Knew Hot Air Could be So Controversial?

Well, after all, it is hot air, so perhaps it deserves a lot of discussion.  I really didn't expect so many people to come to the defense o…

Started by Bud Poll

2 Apr 30, 2012
Reply by Bud Poll

Hot water re-circ systems

For those of you who are conducting residential energy assessments; are you recommending "on demand"  hot water re-circ. systems?  I'm find…

Started by Eric Sperline

18 Apr 28, 2012
Reply by tedkidd

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Michael Dunseith posted photos
9 hours ago
Hal Skinner replied to Hal Skinner's discussion How much heat energy is lost through the floor of a house?
"II just remembered seeing a report by a federal adency, many years ago, that basically said …"
12 hours ago
Don Fitchett commented on Tom White's video
Thumbnail

Alliant Energy's PowerHouse TV: Sealing Leaky Ductwork

"Very educational. thanks for sharing Tom."
15 hours ago
Hal Skinner posted a discussion

How much heat energy is lost through the floor of a house?

I am asking this as I do not recall anyone speaking of any study to this end.  Many comments about…See More
15 hours ago

Mike Braun just added their location.
(via Member Map)

16 hours ago
Bud Poll replied to Bud Poll's discussion Another benefit from air sealing
"From my work in NY City many years ago, the critters I saw would never have fit through a quarter…"
20 hours ago
Barbara Smith replied to Bud Poll's discussion Another benefit from air sealing
"Eliminating quarter sized holes can impede rats from entering a building, in areas where rats tend…"
20 hours ago
Casey Murphy is now a member of Home Energy Pros
21 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service