General Forum (698)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Spray Foam and 2009 IRC codes? Your interpretation?

We are looking at spray foam and whether we will be able to use it without an ignition barrier in crawlspaces or attics. The initial opinio…

Started by Caleb Simon

8 May 14, 2012
Reply by Timothy Renz

Your thoughts on wiring fiberglass batts to the roof deck (hot dry climate)

I have seen many failed attempts at doing this method. I know it is not optimal, but many builders are still doing this as an upgrade to ce…

Started by Craig Bird

8 May 10, 2012
Reply by Craig Bird

Multi Family Auditing

I'm curious to hear from anyone with experience in Multi Family Auditing what your thoughts on the muti-point blower door test are, and if…

Started by Thomas Price

38 May 10, 2012
Reply by Tim Marlett

The Short-Circuit Theory, Keep or Remove Those Gable Vents?

When a ridge vent is added to a house that already has gable and soffit vents, you may hear advice that goes something like this. "You must…

Started by Bud Poll

21 May 8, 2012
Reply by Bob Blanchette

Leakage to outside on ducts fully within the envelope

I am just wondering if a lot of people are feeling the way I do on the subject of testing Duct Leakage To Outside on duct systems that are…

Started by Jack Baikoff

10 May 3, 2012
Reply by tedkidd

BPI Works with RSES to Expand Accreditation Options for the HVAC Contractor

BPI now accepts the Refrigeration Service Engineers Society (RSES) certifications as prerequisite criteria for participation in our accredi…

Started by Cierra Mooney

0 May 1, 2012

Codes, codes & more codes

Come by to check out our latest newsletter featuring building code related stories.  If you're interested in receiving the newsletter on mo…

Started by Silvie Votrubova

0 Apr 30, 2012

R-19 Walls

Good afternoon, I am looking for cost effective insulating for a 1910 brick 2 story in Chicago. Demo starts today. Complete gut. 18" crawls…

Started by randy tolowski

1 Apr 30, 2012
Reply by Bud Poll

Who Knew Hot Air Could be So Controversial?

Well, after all, it is hot air, so perhaps it deserves a lot of discussion.  I really didn't expect so many people to come to the defense o…

Started by Bud Poll

2 Apr 30, 2012
Reply by Bud Poll

Hot water re-circ systems

For those of you who are conducting residential energy assessments; are you recommending "on demand"  hot water re-circ. systems?  I'm find…

Started by Eric Sperline

18 Apr 28, 2012
Reply by tedkidd

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Tom Conlon commented on Kurt Shafer's blog post What is your opinion about members promoting products here?
"I just checked the site Guidelines Kurt, and any true "promotions" should be posted in…"
17 hours ago
Tom Conlon posted a discussion

Whole House Fans - Love 'Em or Not?

I just searched this forum for "Whole House Fan", but I didn't find much about them (except …See More
18 hours ago
Richard Beyer replied to Mike Kandel's discussion Our Homes Suck – And That's Why Our Kids Have Sinus Problems
"Don, Thank you for the praise! I only wish that some of these profiteers could answer my questions…"
20 hours ago
Richard Beyer replied to Mike Kandel's discussion Our Homes Suck – And That's Why Our Kids Have Sinus Problems
"Todd, This report (attached link) below on poor people living in subsidized housing show's…"
20 hours ago
Mike Kandel added 4 discussions to the group Building Performance Institute (BPI)
22 hours ago
Mike Kandel posted discussions
22 hours ago
Nate Adams commented on Jim Gunshinan's blog post My Energy Upgrade California—The Numbers Are In
"Jim, Glad to help! OK, a touch of soap box. So long as we don't tell people EE is free and…"
23 hours ago
Kurt Shafer commented on Kurt Shafer's blog post What is your opinion about members promoting products here?
"Bob, Good idea. I see that you are a window energy reduction expert. You might consider adding…"
23 hours ago
Robert (Bob) Bacon commented on Kurt Shafer's blog post What is your opinion about members promoting products here?
"Kurt, I would explain what energy/efficiency problem this device solves and explain the science the…"
yesterday
Ben Jacobs replied to Mike Kandel's discussion Our Homes Suck – And That's Why Our Kids Have Sinus Problems
"I agree that in many homes the indoor air sucks.  However, a lot of this problem is caused…"
yesterday
Kurt Shafer commented on Kurt Shafer's blog post What is your opinion about members promoting products here?
"Tom, thank you for your odd reference to a leaky duck. It is a bit off topic since I was not asking…"
yesterday
Tom Delconte commented on Kurt Shafer's blog post What is your opinion about members promoting products here?
"Shameless self promotion here sucks like a leaky duck!"
yesterday

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service