Best Practices (29)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Misting Aeroseal in Pressurized Home = Amazing Air Sealing Innovation

As a training program manager for a non-profit, I am often too busy managing my program to catch all of the latest and coolest innovations…

Started by George Kopf

0 May 24, 2013

Backdraft Detectors - Are they reliable?

On a recent Quality Assurance site visit, I found a gas-fired water heater with a "Vent-rite Spill Alarm" installed on the flue. The contr…

Started by Nick Helmholdt

2 May 10, 2013
Reply by Jim Peck

Frozen Pipes on Interior Wall

On a recent quality assurance site inspection I found a situation where pipes froze and burst within an interior wall. Here is the story:…

Started by Nick Helmholdt

7 Mar 14, 2013
Reply by Michael Jensen

Appraisal Institute Updated the Residential Green and Energy Efficient Addendum

The changes made to the Addendum will enhance the reporting of the green and energy features.  It is written for homeowners, builders, appr…

Started by Sandra K. Adomatis, SRA

1 Mar 12, 2013
Reply by Guy DuBois

Does Neatness Count?

This may seem trivial, but to me as a homeowner it isn't. When it comes to blown-in or spray foam insulation in unfinished attics, does nea…

Started by Jim Gunshinan

8 Jan 31, 2013
Reply by Jim Gunshinan

Venting a clothes dryer through an unheated garage

We recently vented a gas clothes dryer through an attached and unheated garage, to an outside wall of the garage. We are located in Central…

Started by Brad Cook

10 Jan 25, 2013
Reply by Eric Kjelshus

Making crawlspaces conditioned space

I am working, doing audits, with a contractor who tends to make basements, crawlspaces into conditioned space. Especially when all or most…

Started by Evan Riter

37 Jan 3, 2013
Reply by Curt Kinder

Best Energy Myths

What are some of the best energy myths you have ever heard? I think this could be good for a couple of laughs. I will start: Incandescent l…

Started by Silas Inman

40 Dec 27, 2012
Reply by Nehemiah Stone

Duct Cleaning? Good value or a waste of money?

I have lots of my auditing customers who ask me about duct cleaning, and if they should do it.  It seems like the only way to get them real…

Started by Gordon Smith

21 Dec 22, 2012
Reply by Robert H

Tired of climbing ladders and reaching to find air leaks during blower door test I have a solution!!!

Yes, a thermal image camera is a good way, but a better way to instantly see the leak and the cfm amount of the leak-- try using the Alnor…

Started by Damien Herold

17 Nov 26, 2012
Reply by Damien Herold

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Sean Lintow Sr replied to Tony Rigdon's discussion Placement of 5/8" firewall, over or under foam board insulation?
"contact the local AHJ for sure - but for "fire" reasons it should be on the outside…"
1 hour ago
Tony Rigdon posted a discussion

Placement of 5/8" firewall, over or under foam board insulation?

I'm adding onto my personal residence and since the house is within five feet of the property line,…See More
2 hours ago
Hal Skinner replied to Hal Skinner's discussion Rooftop A/C units and exposed ductwork in the group The RCC Classroom (Radiant Control Coatings)
"Hi Tom.   As far as media advertising goes for the good RCCs, it really doesnt work well at…"
4 hours ago
Sean Lintow Sr commented on Chris Laumer-Giddens's blog post Mini-Split Heat Pumps are Quirky, Especially their Capacity
"Quick question Chris - the set & forget (for temperature setbacks) is that with any or just…"
6 hours ago
Martin Smith joined Hal Skinner's group
Thumbnail

The RCC Classroom (Radiant Control Coatings)

A group where energy professionals can learn about all the different energy saving aspects of…See More
8 hours ago
Anthony Cox added a discussion to the group Job Board
Thumbnail

PROJECT MANAGER/BUILDING SCIENCE TRAINER Community Housing Partners Christiansburg, VA

We are hiring and below is link to apply for the position we have available at Community Housing…See More
8 hours ago
Anthony Cox joined Diane Chojnowski's group
Thumbnail

Job Board

This group is for posting jobs related to all aspects of the home performance industry including…See More
9 hours ago
Profile IconBrendan Reid, Brian Keech, Bob Reuther and 1 more joined Home Energy Pros
10 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service