Best Practices (32)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Is my HVAC Guy correct? 2 systems instead of 1 system with Dampers

I'll soon be working on converting a second floor of a residential building that was never finished and is being used as an attic for the…

Started by scottscontracting

54 Nov 9, 2013
Reply by Curt Kinder

Sizing A Ground Heat Exchanger for Installation

Ground Heat Exchanger (GHE) is the key to the efficiency of a Ground Source Heat Pump (GSHP). However, GHE is not standardized as other par…

Started by Perry Ning

1 Sep 14, 2013
Reply by Bob Blanchette

2nd Edition! Home Performance Diagnostics: the Guide to Advanced Testing

Now in its 2nd Edition, Home Performance Diagnostics includes over 40 diagnostic tests in 220 pages, with 180 full-color photos walking you…

Started by Corbett Lunsford

0 Jun 7, 2013

Boxing and Insulating Around Non-ICAT Cans

I have a client with 16) 4" halogen recessed light fixtures in the attic. I'd like to cover the cans with air tight, fire rated boxes. The…

Started by Bachi Brunato

9 May 31, 2013
Reply by peter chang

air sealing sprinklers

does anyone have experience air sealing fire sprinklers?   Per California code, all new  homes must have fire sprinklers.... think 30 to 40…

Started by mike keesee

8 May 28, 2013
Reply by Ed Minch

Misting Aeroseal in Pressurized Home = Amazing Air Sealing Innovation

As a training program manager for a non-profit, I am often too busy managing my program to catch all of the latest and coolest innovations…

Started by George Kopf

0 May 24, 2013

Backdraft Detectors - Are they reliable?

On a recent Quality Assurance site visit, I found a gas-fired water heater with a "Vent-rite Spill Alarm" installed on the flue. The contr…

Started by Nick Helmholdt

2 May 10, 2013
Reply by Jim Peck

Frozen Pipes on Interior Wall

On a recent quality assurance site inspection I found a situation where pipes froze and burst within an interior wall. Here is the story:…

Started by Nick Helmholdt

7 Mar 14, 2013
Reply by Michael Jensen

Appraisal Institute Updated the Residential Green and Energy Efficient Addendum

The changes made to the Addendum will enhance the reporting of the green and energy features.  It is written for homeowners, builders, appr…

Started by Sandra K. Adomatis, SRA

1 Mar 12, 2013
Reply by Guy DuBois

Does Neatness Count?

This may seem trivial, but to me as a homeowner it isn't. When it comes to blown-in or spray foam insulation in unfinished attics, does nea…

Started by Jim Gunshinan

8 Jan 31, 2013
Reply by Jim Gunshinan

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

Twitter

Latest Activity

Amber Vignieri posted a blog post
4 hours ago
Barbara Smith's video was featured

Weatherization: Crawl Spaces

Crawl Spaces - Training for Weatherization Installers. Re-posted from Seventhwave.org
5 hours ago
Kelly replied to Colin Genge's discussion What is the value of using a pressure pan to test outlets?
"Hi Colin, I like using the pressure pans at outlets to guide my inspections once I'm in the…"
22 hours ago
Leo Klisch commented on Home Energy Magazine's blog post Natural Gas is Becoming Less Attractive
"It seems a bit wasteful to use NG for such a low temperature application as space heat. If a heat…"
23 hours ago
HomeWiz posted photos
23 hours ago
Kobus Niemand commented on Jim Gunshinan's blog post A Healthy Home and a Healthy Bottom Line
"Thanks for the download! Great paper,  Homes receiving EE can experience increases in radon…"
yesterday
Jan Green replied to Rob Madden's discussion DOE Home Energy Score
"Agreed Sandy on all counts!   HES and HERS will be confusing to everyone that doesn't…"
yesterday
Steven Lefler replied to David Eakin's discussion A Growing American Problem In Search Of Valid Answers
"Modular Lifestyles has developed proven Net Zero factory built as a modular or his HUD code…"
yesterday

© 2016   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service